Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was pulling up right at dark Sunday and all the ramps were blocked by emergency vehicles. A go fast boat had crashed around Pt patience. The name of the boat is hot licks. Has anybody heard the story on this? My friend ( Deeka on this site ) had to wait till after 11 pm to pull his boat. I can't believe they would leave their trailers in the water and block all the ramps for hours. He said the 2 ramps that weren't blocked by trailers were blocked by other emergency vehicles. It seems to me they could leave one person in charge of the trucks so as not to leave people stranded for hours just floating at the ramp.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Heard some radio chatter about this. They were looking for a missing person.

UPDATE: Here's a brief synposis form one of the boating forums. UPDATE

Does seem a little dangerous to leave other boats just floating around after dark though.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I know the guy who owns the boat. That boat does well over 100mph and they were out testing it with new motors. . Bobby from newburg marine is the owner. He is going to loose a kidney but the his driver is missing. Not good

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Damn - rolling a boat at high speed never has a good outcome.Hope they find the driver - at least his family can lay him to rest.Sounds like alot of people jumped right in to help them and saved three of the four lives :thumbup:.

·
Registered
13,945 Posts
Very sad day. I hope the survivors recover quickly and they find the missing person. I had a friend, Roger Madden die in a high speed test trial. That kind of speed is always deadly..............Gary

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have been a a part of a few search and rescue operations and all of the fire companies in southern Maryland are volunteer. Before going any further, I have no axe to grind with vollies, they have my utmost respect for the job they do. These guys are just as dedicated to saving lives and helping people as their paid partners in other areas of Mryland. I'm sure in their haste to launch their equipment and reach the scene as qucikly as possible they neglected to move their trailers and other equipment from blocking the ramps. It was probably the last thing they thought of at the time. Once on scene and recognizing the magnitude of the incident they became focused on finding survivors and never gave any thought to location of their other equipment nor any inconvenience caused to others. I'm not trying to make excuses because at some point maybe somebody should have given it some thought. But I'm sure the actual reason they were left there is as noted previously. In emergency situations you're totally focused on one thing, trying to save somebody's life, not thinking of the trailer you left blocking the ramp when you launched your search/rescue vessel.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see it all the time on the roads. A minor accident and police and fire have way too many lanes blocked and just standing around jaw jacking. A little courtesy wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
People see what they want to see and take it the way they want to take it!! All I can say is I hope nobody ever has a loved one involved in a tragic incident, and/or never have to experience any traumatic incidents in their lives. If they are ever in that situation they won't care how many other people are inconvienced as long as every thing that can be done is being done by those responsible for doing it. During my 35 year career as a law enforcement officer I would much rather have somebody get in my face because they had to wait in a line of traffic awhile then have somebody get in my face because I didn't do enough to help someone in need.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I see it all the time on the roads. A minor accident and police and fire have way too many lanes blocked and just standing around jaw jacking. A little courtesy wouldn't hurt.
if it were one of your family members or a friend i am sure you would not be whining about someone being inconvienced the fact is you have nothing at stake in this and should be praying for the man that may have lost his life and his family

reel addict

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
aafinest - well said on both of your posts. also, my family appreciates all that you and your bretheren do everyday. Andy

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your breaking my heart. Do the job and do it right. Don't stand around BS's and tell me your saving lives. If there is no fire or someone trapped in a car get out of the way.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
FU sunman,safety is a factor,maybe trailers were left in water,first to
recover,first to trailer.
I have friends that own a tow co.,on the interstate,block all lanes needed for
safety.
You want to be hit by someone on the cell phone while your vehicle is being
picked up by a stinger or fb tow pro?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rude, I'm for safety when safety is called for and I was mainly talking about minor accidents on the roads. But since you brought up the trailers being left in the water, what if the coast guard wanted to launch a boat guess what they couldn't. What's with the name calling, can't you make a point without calling names. Watch that temper.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Emergency personnel on the scene of all accidents, minor or otherwise, are responsible not only to assist those involved but also to prevent an incident from becoming worse because of some not so obvious unsafe condition. Such as fluids on the road, down/hanging power lines, debris in the road, these are but a few. Now, if traffic is allowed to travel, knowing a potentially dangerous situation exists, and somebody gets injured because of that, who is going to be held responsible?? Often times other resources have to be called to make the road safe. it takes time for them to respond. It may appear the road is safe and people are standing around apparently doing nothing but in reality that's not the case. I realize we cannot make all the people happy all the time, but please believe me, we try. But if being inconvienced makes you mad, think how mad you would be if you got hurt or had your property damaged because of a dangerous condition I knew existed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your breaking my heart. Do the job and do it right. Don't stand around BS's and tell me your saving lives. If there is no fire or someone trapped in a car get out of the way.
i can only hope that if you fall in the water one day and no ones there to help your worthless a$$ the rescue team takes the time to park there trailers

reel addict

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Please read!

I left Solomons Sunday around 3 before the mess.

There was a festival going on taking up the grass overflow parking lot, and I commented about how completely CRAZY the boat ramp was.

When I went up to get my trailer, which I intentionally parked in the back it was SURROUNDED by other trucks and boats and I had to back up and go forward three times just to get out of the spot. The pier was full of people and every non trailer spot was taken up as well. Coming out of the ramp, cops were directing traffic and people pulling their boats out of the water had to go all the way to Roy Rogers to strap them down the rest of the way because there was no place to pull off the side of the road.

My gut feeling is that the rescue vehicles simply had no other place to park!

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
One of the main reasons that emergency vehicles block traffic is for the safety of there own personal and others. Inconvenience yes but I would rather be inconvenience then to see someone with a white sheet covering him or her on the side of the road.

Very well said Sam I’m with ya 100% on this one…. How’s retirement???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts