Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was sitting on the benches at lunch yesterday at Rudee. Watching a few boats drifting thru Rudee. Nice calm flat day with an onshore breeze and an incoming swell off the ocean. Watched a 16-17' center console with 2 guys on board motor slowly out to the little island of rocks on the southern side of Rudee. Guess its a couple of hundred feet offshore.

Well, they go out past that island and turn south beyond it and out of sight. Maybe a minute or two later I see their boat drifting past the island and slowly floating into the surf off the edge of Croatan. Stare at the boat for a bit and say outloud to myself "Why don't I see those two guys on it"?????

Thought maybe they were hunched over doing something and then the boat turns sideways with the waves and into the surf. Knew something was wrong and run down the beach. Then I see the 2 boaters climbing onto the rocks of that island. One was holding his head and the other well....just couldn't tell.

Tried to call VB 911 three times and couldn't get thru with an intercept message saying the call could not be completed as dialed....hows that for BS!! Another guy came down the beach and had the same problem so I called my office and had them patch me thru to VB 911....

There was a swell coming in off the ocean and breaking infrequently against the ocean side of that island so I think they got picked up, turned nearly over and thrown onto the island rocks. Boat righted itself and was pushed away.

Luckily 1 guy seemed to only have a head laceration and the boat seemed OK. Boat wound up on the beach in Croatan where a great group of surfers ran to it and got it stable on the beach and got the motor out of the water. Two jetskiers came blazing out of Rudee and picked up the boaters even before 911 could arrive and got them to shore where the one was treated on the scene.

It was a nice calm day but all you need is one wave in a boat to make disaster situations. Bet for a second they wished they had life jackets on but honestly I dont think I would have either based on the conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Way to go for all involved in the rescue effort. Teamwork pays off when it comes to rendering aide to our fellow boaters and fisherman. I hope all turned out ok for the two boaters. They were more lucky than they know as this could have been a disaster.

Has anyone seen any information on the capsized sailboat in the James with nine souls onboard? It happened last night. one person was still missing last I saw the news.

Dave
Island Bound

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still 1 person missing at this time. Cant believe a few managed the swim to shore. Go figure - this incident on the James was like the one I watched at Rudee. Calm water and still pilot error seems to be the culprit....I think the big thing is that its just like a car accident. It happens in a split second and there is no time to prepare for it when its happening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.