Tidal Fish Forum banner

Boat First -Aid kit-what do you carry ?

3K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  Grady23 
#1 ·
Since it's almost serious fishing time-I thought a quick reminder about what to carry on the boat might help some of the new boaters on Tidal Fish. With the bay water quality getting worse:ibeillin: each year-First -Aid kits are a most have.I use a Tupperware type box for my supplies.I carry alot of heavy bandages and the good cloth type Band-aids along with Peroxide.Tweezers,Asprin/Tylenol/eye glass repair kit/lots of First aid tape/needle and thread (think Rambo :rolleyes: )Saline solution.Everything can be found at CVS type stores-watch the exp. date on the pills.

What's in your boat's First-aid kit ? Skip

#4 ·
Eminent Brothers,
About all I have in the way of first aid stuff is a dirty towel, some hand sanitizer and a rusty pair of pliers so I can de-hook myself when I get stuck. But I'm thinking of getting some BIG dikes to take fishing with me. :D But seriously I do need to get a first aid kit of some kind cause someone always seems to need a bandaid.

#5 ·
All you mentioned Skip plus...

Since I don't have a sink, I carry 3 gallons of fresh water, a handful of hand/feet warmers, 2 blankets, a pillow, nasal spray, eye drops, decongestants, Immodium AD, wipes, disinfectant and SPF 45+ suntan lotion.

Ed

#6 ·
baking soda for jelly fish stings.

Also I am not sure if it is handiwipes or some other type of plastic container that has antiseptic wipes to clean your hands after you handle fish with the threat of problems there.

#12 ·
Yeah, you need one. At least I do cause I bleed almost every time I fish. Dunno how it happens, but I always manage to stick, cut, prod, poke, or otherwise injure myself in some minor or non-minor way. One trip last year I was tryin' to get a hook outta a bluefish, swung around and poked myself in the hand with a bait knife. Didn't hurt. As luck would have it, the knife tip punctured a vein. Blood was squirting halfway across the boat. Thing is, I thought it was the bluefish and damn near bled to death before my fishing buddy noticed and freaked. Fortunately, he had a first aid kit stocked with a pressure compress. That wadn't near as bad though as when I got a catfish barb clear through my hand. Got in a hurry and reached down to take him off the trotline without a net. You haven't felt pain until you've pulled a jagged barb attached to a flopping catfish outta your hand. Left a nice scar though, always good for a few laughs at the bar. Then there was the bucktail in the lip... oh, never mind.... you need a first aid kit. -S

#20 ·
As we know we boat in a MOIST enviroment and moisture can be very detrimental to a lot of what is in the First Aid Kit, while a Zip bag works somewhat OK...I vacuum seal mine...first it keeps ALL moisture out and the open unsealed bag reminds me that I need to replace what was used before I reseal it

#27 ·
Several pair of surgical gloves and a rescue breathing mask. The cardinal rule of First Aid is protect yourself!! The rescue breathing mask is used while performing CPR, and protects you (the rescuer) against everything from vomit (a virtual certainty when giving CPR) and bad breath to AIDS, hepatitus, herpes, and any number of other diseases transmitted by bodily fluids or close contact.

A lightweight, disposable rescue breathing mask comes in a sealed pouch not much bigger than a wash-n-dry. They cost about $1.00 each in bulk, but it is stupid how hard to find they are. The Am. Red Cross often them for about $5.00 at their first aid and CPR classes.

The Boy Scouts now include both gloves and a rescue breathing mask in their requirements for a basic personal first aid kit required for the Second Class rank (right after Tenderfoot).

#28 ·
An Axe, a saw ... plenty of whiskey and bleach to keep the decks from staining ... Arrrrrgh!!!!! :yes: :thumbup: :D

Seriously, aspirin, bandaids, antiseptic, bandages, pre packaged alcohol swabs, ginger candy for seasickness, pre package sunscreen towelettes, sunburn cream etc ........ most of it in vacuum packed bag .......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.