Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor who wants to leave his 20' CC on his lift all winter asked me if I thought it was a good idea. I didn't think so, but have no experience with boat lifts. Would appreciate advice from those who do. Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It will depend on what the lift is rated for and whether the boat can be winterized while on there.

Snow has the potential to accumulate in the boat creating substantial weight that could cause the lift rating to be exceeded.

Also ensure the outboard is kept in the full down position so water cannot accumulate inside and freeze.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have kept my Parker on an uncovered lift for the last 16 years. Good advice from Bret. Make sure it is winterized. Still a few days of warmer, maybe less windy days for the rockfish season, so don't stop too soon. I have seen some hardy anglers off Stingray Point most of the day today. Guess they found some protection from the wind and hopefully found the fish to make the trip worthwhile. I stayed inside to watch a good basketball game as #8 ranked UVA beat #12 ranked Villanova this afternoon.
Tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
We leave our on the lift all winter and have never had problems. We have a 4stroke motor and run it a 2-3 times in the winter when it's a nice day. Just make sure you clean any leaves out so they don't clog up the scuppers in your stern.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have kept my 25 Parker on a lift year round for ten years. No winterize. Run every 3-4 weeks when a warm day appears. No problems.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have kept my 25 Parker on a lift year round for ten years. No winterize. Run every 3-4 weeks when a warm day appears. No problems.
Same here. I do live on a creek versus the main stem of the river which I also think is a factor - especially if you have low profile lifts versus overhead beams when those N'or Easters roll in. I have a 22 foot Grady with a Yamaha 225FS. Run her right through rockfish season (Dec 31) and then usually a little C&R in Jan. Then every 3-4 weeks during Feb and March, when we get 45+ degrees or better, I will take her out for a spin on the river. Before you know it, its April 1 and the fish are back (yup, days are already getting longer!). It comes off the lift several times a year as well for certain maintenance or when it needs something where she has to come off. Depending on schedules, I will change engine oil (via a pump from the cockpit), filters, separators and other minor things while on the lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts