Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if anyone might have a "serious" idea to what is going on -ISSUE= once you hit 22mph the bow will drop and will bow steer, it doesn't matter what the motor position is, I can trim up the motor to the point it will cavitate and the bow will not pull back up until you drop speed and then you can take it back to normal plane at 22mph. The boat= it is a 16' aluminum V hull with a 40hp 2stroke, max hp is 60. it does have electric trim tilt. I have changed weight placement, and the motor height has been tried in different positions as well. It has had a dolfin on it too. I have also taken weight off the boat and added weight as well and moved the weight around, it makes no difference. Any serious ideas? Thanks
(posted on the VA board too)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Have you tried to look at the dolphin angle with the motor all the way down on the trailer to see that the angle is approximately parallel to the hull? Maybe you could use a carpenters level to give it a sanity check.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,155 Posts
Hook is the equivalent to a concave section in the bottom of the hull.
It acts like a trim tab forcing the bow of the boat to plow into the water.
Can be caused in aluminum boats by improper support on the trailer and hitting potholes while towing.

As mentioned above, place a straight edge on the outside of the bottom of the hull positioning it from mid section to the stern.
If bottom is concave, you likely found the cause of your problem.
Easiest way to correct it is to buy another boat.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thinking about this some more . . .

Is your outboard a long shaft? How far below the trailing edge of your transom is your motor's cavitation plate? If its too deep, the Dolphin is going to want to lift the transom more than intended resulting in bow dig.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found it-after trying everything before posting the question I now know it is HOOKED, in doing a ton of research about it and how to repair I was surprised to find some new boats have it too. Mine is older and I can get to the section that is causing the problem, which is in front of the transom, I am going to peen mine. The trailer fits it correctly so wasn't caused by that, it might have been this way since it was born and the original owner just lived with it. Thanks I appreciate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts