Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of trailering my ski down to Oregon Inlet and fishing Saturday and maybe Sunday. PWC's are not allowed to use the ramp at the Inlet so I am looking for a Marina (private ramp) that I can drop at. I have been looking at a couple of sites on google earth and see a marina called Thicket Lump Marina in Wanchese. There is no answer at their phone and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion of the place or a suggestion of another place. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not sure of a private ramp but my buddy and me have put out at the ramp across from Pirates Cove. It does add a little to the run, but its usually never busy and you dont have to deal with the yahoos at OI.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thats Where I would have put in bummer, just book an oregon inlet Charter They are the easiest way to get some of those fish. Captains will be happy for the business and probably need it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
with your disguized rig they probably wont say anything , call the fishin center and ask, or the park rangers office. public ramp in wanchese at bend in road right before turn to thickett lump, thought there was a new ramp next to bluewaters building on wanchese

·
Registered
91 Posts
Use the public ramp in Manteo. Only a 12 mile ride in smooth waters to Bonner bridge. Google "NC wildlife ramps" for the site that gives the exact location of all the ramps.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
with your disguized rig they probably wont say anything , call the fishin center and ask, or the park rangers office. public ramp in wanchese at bend in road right before turn to thickett lump, thought there was a new ramp next to bluewaters building on wanchese
I could be wrong (I often am) but I'd be willing to bet that trnsmaster has it right. I suspect the fishing center ramp will not have a problem with you. You will launch and proceed through the inlet in an orderly fashion. They have a problem with the normal, idiotic, drunken jet skiers who only drive around in circles cutting in and out of boats....basically annoying boaters. And this crowd will not be jet skiing this weekend and pretty sure you will be the only one on a ski.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The new ramp at Bluewater has dredge pipe and workers all over it.Pirates cove ramp is closed for bulkhead repairs(or something).The ramp in Wanchese by the fishouse is your most sure bet(parking is assured),But you can launch out of Manteo and park across the bridge on Ice Plant island as I sometimes do if I launch out of that ramp,because you're supposed to separate your truck and trailer if you park at the ramp.It's only a 100 yard walk across the bridge to the parking area of the 'Festival Park'.Brian,feel free to call me today at 252.423.0734 if you want a more complete rundown on the options.

·
Registered
266 Posts
you can also put in at Rodanthe sound side where the old ferry crossing is right at the recycle center. i use this alot for sound access there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I could be wrong (I often am) but I'd be willing to bet that trnsmaster has it right. I suspect the fishing center ramp will not have a problem with you. You will launch and proceed through the inlet in an orderly fashion. They have a problem with the normal, idiotic, drunken jet skiers who only drive around in circles cutting in and out of boats....basically annoying boaters. And this crowd will not be jet skiing this weekend and pretty sure you will be the only one on a ski.
I am with him! You're Jet Ski Brian, they should pay you to launch there the amount of great pics and publicity that will result. Change your name to "JET BOAT" Brian and they might not even notice....

I would ask - closer to the inlet the better, and that is where all the traffic will be ICOE

Catchem 'up :thumbup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Use the boat launch on the back side of Manteo. Drive into Manteo and keep your eyes open for a sign to the ramp. You will be making a left and just follow the road to the dead end. Take a left at the dead end and you will be at the launch. It's near the water/waste treatment plant or dump. One of those, it's been awhile since I've been down that way.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Brian, "Havana Banana" here, thinking about trailering down too...let me know where & when & I'll try to run south of O.I. w/ ya...sat,sun & mon. which day will have the best WX ?? Do you have lights yet? or still waiting for daylight....I was planning to follow a bigger boat till past outside channel....

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the good info.
STX I am going to leave my house around early to try and be in Wanchese by 7am. I do have some temp lights on my ski now. I heard the bite today was off of the Wright memorial and duck research pier. I am fishing Saturday and maybe Sunday.

·
Registered
403 Posts
From what I understand you can launch a jet ski, you just have to stay in the channel. You can't be shooting though the skinny water. I really doubt you will have any problems, Besides you are running a "boat" for 1 anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts