Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live near back creek, but was wondering if there was a public boat ramp that is easily navigable on theNorther side of the York River Bridge closer to wolf trap ? I have always put in at back creek and headed north, but I was hoping for a closer ramp. I am thinking about going up there some time this week and maybe the weekend, but was hoping for a shorter trip on the water.

Thanks
JoeB

·
Registered
573 Posts
Gwynns island ramp is nice- big, easy to get in and out of; just be careful going out of milford haven; remember the red and green markers switch sides halfway through-- if youve never been through there before, follow someone who has, and make sure the tide is coming in.

JP
"KwikRelease"

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, sounds like Gwynns is good if you know what your doing. How much does is cost to launch at Cobbs CreeK? Or is it about the same. if you know what your doing?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Cobbs Creek will extend you trip time. Gwynns Island is the closest. If you go on a weekend go early parking is at a premium. If you stay within the markers at hole in the wall you should have pleny of water. Study your chart and watch the channel edges. You can see edges fairly easily. The depth drops from two feet to ten feet quickly.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, It is beginning to sound like I am going to make the water run. I can't even get away from the driveway before 9 on a weekend.. Appreciate the advise.

JoeB

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never heard of some of these places and I have no idea how to get to them. Can you please let me know how to get to them from the bridge on 17. I don't mind a fee, as long as I can find the place and the channel is well marked . Like I said in a previous message I would not want to ride there and find out I can't launch due to an overcrowded situation. I will be crossing the bridge between 9 and 10 on Sunday.

Thanks

JoeB

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Joe, you might consider hiring Chris to take you out there. He knows the area very well and also knows where and how to find the fish.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave, I will already have a boat load or I might have entertained that idea. It is always best to fish with someone who knows the waters and fishingareas. thanks for the suggestion.

Chris,
I may be taking you up on that. Is the place your suggesting crowded iin mid-morning? How is the waterways to the bay? I can follow markers, but sometimes it is a bottle and a stick that leads the way..
What I am hoping to do is catch some Spades and maybe some Flounder while I am up that way.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
535 Posts
Joe-

The ramp there is never crowded. The road getting down there is narrow & curvy, but has little traffic. There are channel markers all the way out of the creek, so you should be fine. Expect a crowd at Wolf Trap. Lots of boats fishing there these days.

Good luck!

Chris

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thank everyone for all the input. It appears the bay will have other uses for the spade and flounder I was after this weekend. 2 to 3 foot seas tells me I am going to wait. Maby next.

Joeb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts