Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a for sale ad for my 29' Chris Craft on the TF Classifieds two days ago. I got an inquiry from someone who signed with their full name, Roger Robertson. This name appears in the Richmond telephone book. He sounded legit at first. He offered me $1,500 more than my advertised price and claimed he was an engineer for Exxon working offshore of Lybia. My step-son works for Exxon and their employee listing shows no one with that name. He claimed a friend of his would come up from Texas to my house with a cashiers check, pick up the boat(!) and ship it to Lybia and all I had to do was give him my name, address, etc. I ceased communications with him. Thought I would warn others.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Something similar happened to a friend of mine. He was selling his 28 Bertram. Nice boat, but 25 years old and nothing special about it. The guy said he was from England & would send a cashiers check for the sale price, plus extra for shipping if my friend would arrange for the boat to be sent overseas. Well, the check arrived & the guy called back & said he had found a boat locally. He asked my friend if he would refund the amount of the sales price & keep $500 for his trouble. Well, the cashiers check was a fraud...you can figure out the rest of the scam...Glad you didn't get burned!![wink]

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I have heard of this scam several years ago. Bottom line. If you want to buy something big from me you better have cash money or meet me at the bank of your choosing. The only way I would take a cashiers check is if it was from someone I know very well.

BTW If you send the product or check through the US Postal service and get ripped off they well go after the other guy. If you use FedEx, UPS, etc. you are hosed.

Tom

·
Registered
659 Posts
Purchased a ATV off of e-bay about a year ago. The guy lived in West Virginia. About a 6 hour ride, but I got such a good deal it was well worth the ride. Instructed I would bring a $7000 cashier check from my bank. No deal. Well how about a money order. No deal. Cash only. Called the man on the phone and verified he at least had a mailing address. He had actually gotten burned on a bad Cashier check. I didn't think it was possible. My wife informed me that it was a setup and they were planning on robbing me. Anyway I took my adult son and my 357 along with $7000 and headed west. The guy agreed to meet me halfway. That really got my wife fired up. Met the man in a very busy resturant parking lot. Looked over my purchase and was very happy. Handed over the money and he stuck it in his pocket. Never counted one dollar. Very good deal and transfer. All was happy.
Bubba[angel][angel][angel]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's how the scam works. They present fake cashier's checks and get your boat and when you go to the bank to deposit your "cashier's check" you find out it is no good. Don't deliver any good or product until the check has cleared; even a cashier's check!

G

·
A lot of times, the check will "clear," but will be returned weeks later as counterfeit.

Any time someone asks for a refund of a portion of the check, it should be a red flag that it is a scam.

Google "Nigerian 419 scam"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the good info, especially about using the postal service vs. Fedex or UPS and about cashiers checks.

Hope I get an honest buyer soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts