Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the boat show Friday. Great show. Really surprised when I saw 4 of these 600HP on a 42 footer open boat. Cost $78,000 a piece. Why would anyone need something like that. Great boats if you have the money....

·
Registered
150 Posts
They used to sa in the old days, "if you want to get somewhere in a hurry, buy a mercury. If you want to get home again buy almost any other brand).

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
They used to sa in the old days, "if you want to get somewhere in a hurry, buy a mercury. If you want to get home again buy almost any other brand).
I have a 1994 Mercury 115 2 stroke on my Key West that runs like the day I bought it....... Gary

·
Registered
100 Posts
Take a few minutes and read about this motor. It is revolutionary. Two speed transmission that is not in the lower unit. The motor remains stationary as the lower unit turns to steer the boat. Twelve cylinder engine. Dual overhead cams with four valves per cylinder. The dual props cost $3,200.00. Nothing separates the haves from the have nots like the boat world. Wouldn’t surprise me that the first year’s Production isn’t already sold out. Those boys that make that Lauderdale-Miami to The Bahamas run love this stuff.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Where a motor like this makes the most sense (beyond a d*ck measuring contest) is where it replaces two 300 HP motors. Much more efficient and less maintenance to have one lower unit in the water and one power plant to service. Plus, as you said, it brings other efficiencies to the table. I can't recall the numbers, but a dealer at the show claimed significant, real world fuel savings going from twin 300s or even twin 250s to the 600. Also, the technology debuting here will work its way down to the lower HP models over the next couple of years.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It will be 6 600’s. That’s probably why the power plant is stationary now. To fit more engines on some transom

·
Registered
197 Posts
Where a motor like this makes the most sense (beyond a d*ck measuring contest) is where it replaces two 300 HP motors. Much more efficient and less maintenance to have one lower unit in the water and one power plant to service. Plus, as you said, it brings other efficiencies to the table. I can't recall the numbers, but a dealer at the show claimed significant, real world fuel savings going from twin 300s or even twin 250s to the 600. Also, the technology debuting here will work its way down to the lower HP models over the next couple of years.
If I were running offshore, I would have 2x300, but I do get your point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts