Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 17 ft open bow, 70 hp motor. Wanting to upgade to bigger boat.I am either going with a 19 cc with a 125 2 stoke hp or i know of a 2001 21 ft striper 200 hp johnson 2 stroke that will be coming up for sale. I fish the bay maybe covering 30 or so miles at cruising speed not full throttle , keeping boat running for some of the time jocking back and forth.Here is where i need help,Doing the same thing with either boat ,how much more gas will the bigger boat ues as far as 25 percent or more like 60 percent.I know some might say if i have to worry about gas dont do it. With that said, i dont want to get smaller boat then realize bigger boat and motor would not be that much different.Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
All I can tell you is the 17' w/70hp(assuming an OMC 3 cylinder 2 cycle) is probably one of the most economical rigs you will ever own in a 2 cycle engine. 200 HP is bound to burn more than a 125HP on boats no different than 19' vs 21'. I doubt it would be double, perhaps 20-25% more. There are just to many variables like boat weight, hull design, loading etc. to give more reliable estimates. Striper is a pretty darn good and darn nice bay boat and I would be attracted to it -- but then what is the other boat??
Put more info out about the boats and I'm sure you can get some idea from owners of each about the performance and assets of each.:thumbup:
budc

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks Budc , that basically what i was looking for as to ( what might be the difference ) Didnt want to find out the wrong answer when it might be to late, I didnt want to be spending twice the amount on gas for doing the same thing.I would like to have the extra room on the bigger boat,still a little worried about making the jump from 17 ft to 21 since i would be towing the boat about 170 miles one way when i go fishing, but then again i am only traveling that far about 5 times a year.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Perry,
Hey man. You're letting a dime hold up a dollar! From 17 to 21 is not a quantum leap.
I trailer a 16' 50 miles and we also drag a 24' from the Virginia Peninsula to Oregon Inlet, NC. The 16 is aggravating as **** 'cause it jack knifes before I can hit the brakes. I can back the 24' at 10 MPH without any RolAids or Tums.
Trailering is a learned ability. The more you do it, the better you are at it. Your 17 requires you to swing a little wider on turns and be very reactive when backing up. Add 4' and all you do is swing a little more wider on turns and backing willl be a dream because the short 17 is a PIA compared to a longer trailer.
Fuel consumption difference to trailer the larger boat is usually not worth talking about.
My suggestion in this situation is to buy the boat you want to fish in. Face it, if you go one less trip a year, the cost of that trip will pay the extra expenses of the rest of the trips that year. That's what we figured when gas went in the tree tops -- give up one trip and spread the bucks over the other trips. If 10 trips cost a grand, now you go 9 trips in a hugely better rig for the same grand. Not really a big deal for all the comfort and room for friends. :beergood:

You only go around once. Get it while the getting is good!!!:thumbup:
(Now, go talk to your wife..............) ;- }
budc

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree with budc on this one. When it comes to boats size matters. Just go one less trip, you can ride in mine anytime perry. Cant wait till spring. See ya later. John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well gentelmen they are the answers i was hoping to hear. yes i do feel like it is a big jump, Didnt want to to something i didnt want .after i got into it , as far as not goning because of being to much work or whatever. i guess i am too use to my little 17 footer. Thank you everyone , i will wait till spring till he tries to sale his boat and let the negotiateing on the price begin. Thanks again and john ,should we try to ho on a boat to learn or do you want to go to rock hall with your boat and try on saturdy

·
Registered
290 Posts
PERRY I CANT GO THIS WEEKEND:nono:. WISH I COULD IT WOULD HELP ME GET READY FOR MONDAY.IM GOING TO GET A HART CATH.:helpsmilie: IF I DONT MAKE IT THROUGH IT, MY BOAT WILL BE FOR SALE.:fishing2: JOHN P.S IF I DONT MAKE IT HOPE YOU KNOW I ENJOYED MY TIME ON THE WATER WITH YA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay Heimdall you are the kind of person i want to talk to, how much gas would you typiclly burn on a days worth of fishing the bay

·
Registered
36 Posts
23' 230 WA Sea Fox 2003 model

The 200 Mercury Saltwater 2003 model on my 23' Sea Fox recently had a burn rate of approx. 3.5 gallons per hour. I was trolling 90% of the time. In the past, have experienced a range of 2.1 to 3.8 depending on how much running at the high end.
Also fyi, this boat has a hull weight of 2750# plus additional weight of hardtop, motor
and a 120 gallon fuel tank. Hope this helps a little.
Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
A 1998 Seamaster 21 WA with a 2000 Yamaha HPDI 150 cruising at 30mph burns 7-8gph almost 4 miles per gallon depending on the sea conditions and it is fairly lightwieght to tow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well between tmri and katman2860 you guys have me covered between trolling and cruising. thanks. I have one more (STUPID) question maybe for katman, this boat has the 200 hp 6 carbs , how does this rate to the hpdi, are they fuel injected or carb,or would it not matter. i must say when i saw the 6 carbs it did kind of intimidate me.yes i have alot ti learn about the difference in the motors. thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
The carbed 200 Johnson is not nearly as economical as a Yamaha hpdi probably like burning 16-17 gals per hour at the same speed and burn about 30% more oil.
The other problem with a carbed engine is ethonal fuels tend make the needle and seats stick together if gas gets left in it without running it for 30-45 days.The Yamaha hpdi is a high pressure direct injection engine which is why it is more economical to run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well katman, wow, that was enough to answer my question. Guess i should study about the difference between motors.Never thought that it would be double the gas even with a 200 hp with a all carb motor. glad i found out now. thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am running a 2000 Johnson 150 carbed. I am almost positive it is the same V6 block as the 200, someone correct me if I am wrong. She is pushing an 84 Wellcraft V20, who loaded comes in at about 4200 lbs. With this setup I have been averaging around 2.2-2.5 MPG, the worst I have seen was 2 MPG. Which unless you go with a four stroke or newer DI you won't see too much better.

-Svence

·
Registered
111 Posts
Svence The Johnson 150 and 175 up to 2001 are the same block,the 200,225 and 250 up to 2001 are the same block.
Most of the v-20's I have worked on came in at about 3600lbs loaded,not sure about the 4200lbs.
I do know your boat with a Yamaha F150 4-stroke will get a little over 4mpg cruising at 30-32mph

1 - 20 of 21 Posts