Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought our first boat this past summer. A new 16ft center console with a 50hp four stroke engine and external fuel tank. The boat is stored in our garage when not in use. I plan to fish a few more times this striper season then stop using the boat until the weather warms up.

I am not sure what I should do after my last trip of the year. Again, the boat will be stored in my garage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Give it a good bath. Follow the engine manufacturer recommendation for winterizing the engine which probably means treating the fuel (I use Sta Bil Marine Formula green) and running it through the engine, fog the cylinders, change all fluids and remove the fuel tank. I would also open any hatches or plates to keep it aired out and let it thoroughly dry out. Pull the prop and check for fishing line wrapped around the shaft and then reinstall after applying a good marine grease. If you have any raw water washdowns or bait well pumps you need to drain or run RV antifreeze through these. Since it's inside you don't need to cover it or shrink wrap it.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Buy a repair manual for it, ebay has them. Lube and oil the linkages under the cowling. Pick up some new washers for when you drain and refill the lower unit oil. Keep an eye on the lower unit and it will last a long time, neglect it and it will cost you. Give the motor cowling a nice coat of boatwax.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Your owners manual should list all of these things as well. Hit all the moving parts with grease or lube and don't forget the trailer bearings, tongue jack, and surge brakes. The oil drain will probably have a washer as well and remember to change the filters, fuel water separator and engine oil.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Lube the steering cables if you have a cable steering system, otherwise they may seize with prolonged lack of use - motor manual likely won't mention that. If you don't have, and don't ant to install a lube port, at least turn the steering wheel every few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts