Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to buy a 24ft proline sportsman center console with the full stern and Armstrong bracket

Has anyone had any experience with proline boats , or heard anything bad about them..?

Seems to be the perfect all around boat , good for inshore and off shore..

Any input would be appreciated..

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Getting ready to buy a 24ft proline sportsman center console with the full stern and Armstrong bracket

Has anyone had any experience with proline boats , or heard anything bad about them..?

Seems to be the perfect all around boat , good for inshore and off shore..

Any input would be appreciated..
I have a friend who has a 92 - 21'CC...he loves it!! I've been on it as well...dry ride, tall gunnels...what else can ya ask for??! He actually repowered in 2006 to an E-Tec...gets AWESOME fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
When I was looking for my boat, I heard/read the folks that say stay away from any boat with the words sea or pro (theres some other words on the list). I have been on alot of these boats (And I own one) and have found them to be seaworthy and good fishing platforms. There are boats that are designed for everyday use (like a guide) vs weekend outings, but I use my Sea Chaser pretty hard when I do get out and its holding up well.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I heard the same about staying away from them. The ride is awful. I would take a long ride on a choppy day before purchasing.

Phil (lily)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear good things and bad things about Pro Line boats, but i guess thats the same with all boats..

going to sea test this thing Sat , and if all goes well its coming home with me i think..
just to good of a deal to pass up..

thanks for the input gent's

·
Registered
209 Posts
A sea test is a wise decision, good luck.

·
Registered
839 Posts
They are pretty solid boats, my cousin has had two walk arounds from Proline and loves them. The last one he bought is a late 90's hull that he repowered.
There is a Proline representative on a boating site i'm a member of, and they seem to go out of their way to give good customer service.
Most owners seem to be pleased with them.
Make sure to get a good surveyor to go over it first, and have the engine checked by a reputable mechanic. What year is the boat?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
They are fine boats. not the same, but I had a 19 foot proline cc and used to take it 30 miles offshore in San Diego...solid as hell and we beat the **** out of it for 6 years and she never skipped a beat.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I like their ride, but some of the older ones (80's) had structural design. Daryl Bush had one where the "wings" of the cockpit were breaking away from the floor of the boat. I saw the same defect in several boats of that vintage. I'd avoid that era.

Another friend has one, a 21' Proline WA from the early 90's, and it's a really nice boat!

But BOTH of them have a great ride! I'd own one in a heartbeat.

Another friend of mine has a 23 or 24' Sea Pro. It's a beautiful boat, but it does NOT have a great ride, especially for it's size. But his boat is light and gets excellent fuel mileage, especially for a 24' boat! Every boat is a compromise.

I like the prolines a lot.

-TH

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The boat is a 1998 with a 2000 1998 225 saltwater series yamaha ... it is siting on a dealers lot now..

i went over this boat last sat , only seen 2 or 3 stress cracks in the gel coat

over all the boat looks well maintained , motor is clean as a wistle

as long as the motor runs good to get me thru this year next yr i am going to put a new merc on her

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I had the same hull in the walkaround version. Mine was a 1997 with 225 Merc offshore. It was a good boat to us and performed fairly well with the 225. It seemed to have a lot of deck space and it was the first boat I owned with a full transom and bracket. It rode nice in the bay if you didnt push it too hard in rougher water (same with any boat). Only downsides to the boat were stress cracks in the radiouses of the liner and that she was on the wetter side. The bow was also a little low and would dip while trolling in very short steep chop too (probably on days I shouldnt have been out)

The 225 Merc was very good to me an reliable but very thirsty. I think the boat did about 40-42mph at WOT with regular load and cruised 25-30mph when the conditions were decent. Mine was the regular offshore and carbrated so it was VERY thirsty. The Yam OX66 should be a bit better on fuel.

Here was my 1997 just before I sold it.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I didn't catch that... Why change from the Yamaha?

It's a fuel injected engine and they are very reliable, in general. MAKE SURE they clean the O2 sensor before you buy, and run Ring Free in your gas, and that thing should give years of dependable service.

If you are buying a 4 stroke for "better fuel economy", it will be MANY MANY years before you make up $10-$20K in engine upgrades! Possibly never. But if you are doing it for quiet and long-term use... then it's your coin. Enjoy it!

-TH

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably won't replace the motor unless she starts to give me trouble , even minor trouble

Always wanted a brand new motor something a little more dependable when tuna fishing
might just be me but i feel better when 40 miles off the beach with a new motor hanging on the back

·
Registered
461 Posts
Fished on a 20' and a 24' and liked both of them. We fished a 20' on the bay and out of Wachapreague at least 20 times and never had a problem. Fished out to the 30 fth. line on real good days, the 21 and 26 mile hills if it was a little sloppy. The ride was wet but not bad as far as getting beat. We just excepted running 17 to 20 knots unless it was flat. Caught plenty.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I ran a 1989 Proline WA (23') for about 10 years. Never had a problem with the hull at all. Rode fine and that was before they increased the beam. Only reason I got rid of her is that the engine quit and I wanted a bit less boat. Wish I had just put a new engine on her.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts