Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five people, including the missing man's son, were rescued by a "Good Samaritan on a sailboat," the agency reported on Twitter.
They were on a 17-foot, center console boat that launched from Sandy Point. The boat swamped and sunk near the bridge. The ship sunk stern first, adding that there was "no time to put on life jackets", according to officials.The man who is missing is the owner of the boat and reported to not be a very good swimmer, according to officials.
The missing man was wearing a red shirt, officials said. Anne Arundel Fire and Rescue said a man fitting that description was seen swimming in the Bay, but he was pulled under the water.
The Coast Gaurd, Anne Arundel Fire and Rescue, and Maryland State Police are assisting the Maryland Natural Resources Police in the search.
Among those rescued was the missing man's son, according to official

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
When we were coming back to the ramp area emergency personnel were launching inflatables. The place was crazy with boaters and trailers and picnickers. They even had a big ladder truck near the beach area (not sure what for).

Wind and swells picked up in the SPSP area around noon...

Mike

·
Registered
495 Posts
What type if boat was it? I have read reports stating it was a sailboat, and others 17ft. CC.. Wonder why the 5 yo wasn't wearing a pfd??

Joe

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
What type if boat was it? I have read reports stating it was a sailboat, and others 17ft. CC.. Wonder why the 5 yo wasn't wearing a pfd??

Joe
It was a 17 foot center console with six people aboard. Four were children aged 5 to 13. The sailboat is the one that rescue them...... Gary

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Bay Bridge, if there was a lot of boat traffic causing wakes, that makes it really dangerous there. Went to Kentmoor several weeks ago and traffic around bridge and west side made for a lot of bouncing around for me and my wife. Lot of boats moving at that time. Once we got on eastern shore south of bridge, it was smooth sailing.

Tough lesson learned if kids didn't wear PFD's, sad the operator perished, that family was looking for fun and wound up having a terrible thing happen. It's dangerous on the water when things go bad. Prayers to the family.

·
Registered
467 Posts
17' CC I thought all boats under 21' were required to have flotation? also 6 persons on a 17' boat it was overloaded and every one go's to the rear to look at the dead engine which lowers the rear free-board its a tragedy.

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
17' CC I thought all boats under 21' were required to have flotation? also 6 persons on a 17' boat it was overloaded and every one go's to the rear to look at the dead engine which lowers the rear free-board its a tragedy.
MD regulations require all children under 13 years of age to wear a PFD while underway on boats under 21' ........ Gary

·
Registered
518 Posts
I hate to say it, because it is such a tragedy, but it is just another example of people not thinking and their ignorance gets people killed. My 3 year old wears a pfd and we have a 31' boat that the 3 year old cant see over the washboards. Then you take a 17' boat and load more people than you'd put on a 20' boat...it's like those ferry accidents where they put 700 people on a boat designed for 100 and it rolls over and kills 500 people....I don't get it....so sad...

DBM

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Don't know about newer regs but my 17 has zero floatation - found this out when removing the leaking fuel tank. My Aquasport is rated for 750#/5 people but the BB is not the place to try an outing at max capacity - conditions down there change too fast.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Have been down at SPSP the last couple of days and can't help but look up and view the SAR (recovery efforts) of the victim of carelessness. Counted at least -5- boats and three separate agencies out there with sidescan and various other electronics. This is a tragedy that the family will never forget. My sympathy is with them. It is just hard to figure out why or how something like this continues to happen with all of the boater education and safety emphasis the state and other boating organizations put out there.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
A 17' Whaler by comparison has alot of capacity. All depends on the boat.

A 1971 17' like my 13' sport, is rated at 7 people 2000#, equip and people.

Chris

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dave - It's easy to look back and say - What if or Why did they ..........................

Everyday people take risks - whether they know it or not.

You have some experience with boats and the bay but many do not and overlook how serious / deadly the bay can turn.

I've helped / saved three scuba divers over the years who got into trouble - they got in over their heads ( no pun intended ).

I know for a fact I've used up more then my nine lives - my guardian angel works overtime.

The Md marine police / others are out to protect us - and sadly , some times recover our bodies. I pity the divers who have to recover my body if I ever die while diving in the bay.

IMHO - like to see life jackets mandatory for boats under 25 or 30 feet when running. DC has a law - not sure what size boat. Most boating fatalities could be prevented with life jackets.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Have been down at SPSP the last couple of days and can't help but look up and view the SAR (recovery efforts) of the victim of carelessness. Counted at least -5- boats and three separate agencies out there with sidescan and various other electronics. This is a tragedy that the family will never forget. My sympathy is with them. It is just hard to figure out why or how something like this continues to happen with all of the boater education and safety emphasis the state and other boating organizations put out there.
Anybody can buy a boat, no experience needed. Maybe part of the requirement to buying a boat is boater education and safety courses. You get the title of the boat when you complete the courses. This spring, at Ferry point, young guy, 7 other people on board, decides to show his skills at putting the new boat in a small slip. It was entertaining to the people at the place. Guy throws boat in reverse , give it throttle ,damn near hits boat in back of him. He then throws it in forward and puts small scape on my boat. What can you do but exchange info.
Not blaming the dealers, but people who buy their boats, who never operated a boat, haven't a clue about seamanship and safety are learning by trial and error.

L
Having someone die is horrible, can't replace that person, boat damage can be repaired.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Anybody can buy a boat, no experience needed. Maybe part of the requirement to buying a boat is boater education and safety courses. You get the title of the boat when you complete the courses.
Boaters safety class is a requirement to get a license, but the minimum is only a 2 hour on-line class. It also gets an insurance discount.

But it isn't much compared to drivers-ed and behind the wheel needed to get drivers license.

I like to have at least one other person on board who has taken the class.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts