Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a stupid question..........................................but that has never stopped me before so here goes............................

The largest fish I have ever boated was a 40in striper that my son and I caught in the Spring of this year. As I look on this blog I am seeing people who are currently catching significantly larger fish. The 40in we were able to net. Between the two of us we managed to reel it in and put it in the net. For a larger fish in the 50in range would you still use a net? Do they make nets that big? Or do you pick the fish up just under the mouth as you would with a smaller bass. Has anyone ever boated one of these while fishing alone. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Great part about stripers is that they dont have teeth. grab them by the mouth and haul them in. I do a have big frabill net that has netted a fish to 48" before. I never net when catch and releasing and I fish at least once a week before the season opens.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
landing a large fish without a net takes some practice.
you can land it "bare-handed" and pull it into the boat or use a Boga Grip, etc.
it can get a bit dicey if the fish is still alittle "green" when it gets to the boat.

best way is with a net

·
Registered
319 Posts
David they do make nets that big!
Mine is 30" wide by 38" long by 36" deep
See net on rocket launcher on my boat in pic below!
All-Tackle sells them - telescoping
Don't net if you plan to release the fish and if you net it, ALWAYS pull the net straight up vertically or you will break the handle.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Great part about stripers is that they dont have teeth. grab them by the mouth and haul them in.
They may not have teeth but it is like putting your hand in a sander with 24 grit sand paper. Always good to have a glove on.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
It all depends on the size of the gunnels in your boat and whether or not you can stop the boat. I have low sides so we just reach down and grab it.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
During the C/R season - we do not net any Rock.I have landed 50 inchers by hand.I lean over the side and apply a "Kung Fu" vise grip death lock :D. It takes practice but once your hand(s) lock onto the lip - do not let go- no matter what.They will shake their head but hold fast.

Once you get the fish under control - lift it up slowly and slide one hand down under it's belly for support.If it is a beast-have someone else cradle the belly.Be sure to jam your toes under the toe rail and make cetain someone is behind you to grab your belt- just in case.

Most shops sell large nets - a 50 incher will fit in them.Be sure to buy one with a deep basket.Always net them head first.

Practice on each Rock you catch and try to always land them the exact same way.This way when Bubba is hooked- it is rountine procedure to land her.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Once you get the fish under control - lift it up slowly and slide one hand down under it's belly for support.If it is a beast-have someone else cradle the belly.
Agreed. A boca grip or just lifting the fish by the jaw could be more damaging than using a net.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I have landed BIG fish w/o a net using a Boga Grip including over 40" stripers, heavy black drum and a 50" cobia.
All those fish were released and swam away healthy and happy after a quick pic! :D

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
During the C/R season - we do not net any Rock.I have landed 50 inchers by hand.I lean over the side and apply a "Kung Fu" vise grip death lock :D. It takes practice but once your hand(s) lock onto the lip - do not let go- no matter what.They will shake their head but hold fast.

Once you get the fish under control - lift it up slowly and slide one hand down under it's belly for support.If it is a beast-have someone else cradle the belly.Be sure to jam your toes under the toe rail and make cetain someone is behind you to grab your belt- just in case.

Most shops sell large nets - a 50 incher will fit in them.Be sure to buy one with a deep basket.Always net them head first.

Practice on each Rock you catch and try to always land them the exact same way.This way when Bubba is hooked- it is rountine procedure to land her.
Very sage advice from someone who lands alot of big rockfish.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Won't someone think of the membranes!!!

I have landed BIG fish w/o a net using a Boga Grip including over 40" stripers, heavy black drum and a 50" cobia.
All those fish were released and swam away healthy and happy after a quick pic! :D
Lifting any large fish by the jaw can tear the esophageal membrane they use to gulp or suck water into their mouths. If this membrane is torn they are unable to suck in their prey, causing them to starve to death. They may swim away today but may not eat tomorrow. Large fish that are intended to be released should remain in the water, or at the very least be supported from the belly when pulled out of the water, held and returned. This is a common problem occurring with large snook, tarpon, and stripers. Probably b/c of their high catch and release vs. catch and keep percentage you see in other less regulated game fish. Ok enough preaching... sorry. ;-)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
What he said. I guess the concern with a net is that it takes the slime off the fish. I think this is a bigger deal in cooler months than it would be now.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nets also split the fins but that might heal. Bogas should be used to control a fish...not land them. Skip/27 describes the best method...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
just stick him with a gaff that will get the job done. Just kidding guys. Stripers aren't bad to deal with at the side of the boat. but they can tear your hands up. THis spring my thumbs were raw. If your going to keep the fish, just get a big net and net them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts