Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering how the rest of the world handles this, you get to the slip ready to go and there is a skim of ice on the water in the creek, you have 600 yds to open water. what do you do?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
put someone on the bow, and have them use a boat hook, and break the ice on your way out. Even thin ice can damage gel coat.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If there is enough room to get My boat turned around I would head right through it and break it up.

I have a 21' CC from 1971. It's bottom painted, and aint a show boat. I see myself passing it on to my kids before I sell it.

If you have a nice high dollar boat you could see yourself selling before you die, be warned that anyhting thicker than an eight of an inch or so probably will damage your gel coat.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Francis, I have a picture somewhere of a trail your Whaler left through the ice going out to the Magothy last year. My tank could double as an ice breaker in Antartica. It always sounds scary but I don't even notice too many scratches on the bottom paint. We must fish.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
How would i handle it?? Am i running a parker or a grady? :D

With my Maycraft i stand my fat arse on the bow casting platform and tell the driver to put the hammer down and don't let up.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Go hunting instead!

How ya doing Bill? I had to have back surgery at the end of October, which has wiped out my fall fishing and hunting. Should be ready fro the second duck season, but my rockfishing is done for the year.

Jim
Magic Moment
35 CC

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How would i handle it?? Am i running a parker or a grady? :D

With my Maycraft i stand my fat arse on the bow casting platform and tell the driver to put the hammer down and don't let up.
thats what I have a 2550 pilot, how thick was the ice??

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Since I own the same boat that these folks own, I'd do what they did.

Go fishing.

-JB

·
Registered
678 Posts
Last February there was ice at the boat ramp that extended about 100 yards out into the river. I launched the boat and busted through the ice motors first. I figured that the ice would damage the motors less than the fiberglass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts