Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in out of Crab Creek early last Sunday morning. There was a lot of activity at the ramp and when a ramp came open the ramp man directing traffic pointed me in the direction of ramp #1. Put the boat in and parked the trailer. Put her in reverse and started backing out. Once about 15' - 20' past the end of the pier the outdrive hit bottom. I didn't think I hit that hard, it felt like a little bump. But once I got out past the no-wake zone I gave her some gas and at 3000 rpm when I normally do about 20 to 25 knots -- I am doing 12.

I have a dual prop Volvo-Penta. Turns out the larger prop hit the bottom and it wasted the hub.

The manager of the marina said he had been there since it opened seven years ago and had never heard of anyone hitting bottom before. Murphy's law at work. He also told me that the bottom there is a clay like substance not sand.

Here is the kicker, I put in at high tide. Don't think I'll be putting in at ramp # 1 anymore.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Ive got a small cc boat and havent had any problems and have never heard of anyone having a problem, maybe you hit the bank bottom if you went a little further than youy thought, you must have a big boat. Hope it didnt cost you much and your back on the water.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
202 Posts
What I normally do from that ramp is bring my rear towards the other ramps and swing my front towards the parking lot and then the houses. My first time there I backed up like you did but didn't hit bottom. I did stir up alot of muck which I assume went into my water pumps.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Actually this happened to a friend of mine when we went out on his boat. We didn't think much about it until we came back in and noticed the prop was mangled. I have no idea
why we didn't feel the prop considering the shape it was in but we didn't but it sure tore up the prop...

The boat was a 21ft trophy with a 125 merc.

·
Registered
631 Posts
if you look at the depth finder you'll see it really shallow past the end of the dock. been there done that!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Put me down as another who has hit bottom there. I sit low in the water with a 24 degree deadrise and won't be using those ramps in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I got hung on the chain of the first red bouy comming back into crab creek and I have heard I am not the first. The city is not maintianing the channel the way they should and will be leaving themselves wide open for a law suit. I will run the boat around or put in at Bubbas from now on. Martin

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Just go to Bubbas. It may cost a little more, but there is not near the drama or hazards as at the city ramp. Plus the girls that work there....

Capt_Ben
Above Average Sportfishing

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Just go to Bubbas. It may cost a little more, but there is not near the drama or hazards as at the city ramp. Plus the girls that work there....

Capt_Ben
i wil once in a blue moon. but i still remember when that was the only ramp & $10 to launch, $5 to park if your riding still sticks in my craw.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
CALL THE CITY...COMPLAIN LOUDLY...the channel markers at the entrance and the channel itself need work...bee like this for a long time...of course they are going to blame it on the people who delayed/prevented the PERMANENT DREDGE SPOILS FACILITY from being built there...probably will say that it wouldnt be like that if we were allowed to dredge already...

Remember when they found the Land Rover there? completely submerged? LOL...maybe there's another car there...

·
Registered
252 Posts

Capt_Ben
SHHHHHH! I never launched from CC in my boat and never will. That pplace is just accidents waiting to happen. And any of you guys that ae going to launch at Bubbas better be very very careful and think about it before you do. The current there will pull you around and take you where it wants. I seen plenty of guys get pushed into the dock, other boats, hit boats etc etc.. It does take some practice to get use to. Just thik about what the current is doing and what you need to do. And take your time.

This is some very good advice and I hope any nubes considering using Bubbas take it or you will be red faced! :yes:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a 27' straight inboard and NEVER launch from #1 OR #2. When I pull up I tell the attendant that I cannot launch from those because it is too shallow for me to back down and turn to go out. I don't have a bow thruster. They always oblidge and help get me out on the retrieve side. I didn't find out the hard way, just common sense for me with my setup. The bank gets shallow very quick.

When the ramps were first opened I went down to check it out, and the first thought that came to mind is "They didn't make enough room past the end of the pier on the launch side for anyone to back down and turn to go out - except for small boats."

If I had a small inboard I would probably not have an issue with launching from the right side.

IMO I'm sure the city's way of getting back at us for pettioning against the dredge spoil xfer was to slack on the channel maint. in an effort to try and push us out. If there are less people using it, there are less people using the ramp to pettion/aware of what is going on. I'm glad ObernDORK will be gone.

As for Bubba's, nowhere near enough room to turn in the parking lot for my rig. Hell, I had a hard time over there with a 14'er I had many years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts