Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, boats rarely break down down, the motors do.

$3900 and 36 days later I got my boat back. A "bombproof" Suzuki 175.

There is a female coupler that goes between the crankshaft and the driveshaft leading to the lower unit that stripped out. Had to pull the powerhead and lower unit. This failure is somewhat common on bigger Zukes and Honda's, no one heard of this with the Zuke 175. Can't tell you how many times I have been the exception to the rule. Anyway - 1500 hours with absolutely meticulous maintenance by the book.

While the work was being done, replaced timing chain, oil pump, water pump, driveshaft.

When people think a $350 charter is a bit much, the cost of boat/tow vehicle ownership is never considered. Other's realize the value having been there, done that.

Having owned dozens of boats, I still stand by my credo - boats & boat trailers suck. But nothing sucks like Minn Kota Co-Pilot/I-Pilot trolling motor.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Actually, boats rarely break down down, the motors do.

$3900 and 36 days later I got my boat back. A "bombproof" Suzuki 175.

There is a female coupler that goes between the crankshaft and the driveshaft leading to the lower unit that stripped out. Had to pull the powerhead and lower unit. This failure is somewhat common on bigger Zukes and Honda's, no one heard of this with the Zuke 175. Can't tell you how many times I have been the exception to the rule. Anyway - 1500 hours with absolutely meticulous maintenance by the book.

While the work was being done, replaced timing chain, oil pump, water pump, driveshaft.

When people think a $350 charter is a bit much, the cost of boat/tow vehicle ownership is never considered. Other's realize the value having been there, done that.

Having owned dozens of boats, I still stand by my credo - boats & boat trailers suck. But nothing sucks like Minn Kota Co-Pilot/I-Pilot trolling motor.
Glad you got your boat back Dennis. I remember you texted me when it happened. Been down a while but the best fishing is yet to come. Anything that has tires, tits or propellers is going to cost you dearly. Your charter prices are VERY reasonable and you are a very knowledgeable guide. Best of luck with the fix and I will see you Wednesday......... Gary

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Yeah , but look at all the free fish you get .........................

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
No kidding, 2002 yammy finally kicked the bucket. 4 stroke here I come.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
My so called bullet proof 2005 200 hp etecs died from salty corrosion. Finally said enough is enough, 30k later two new Suzuki 200 hp sit on the back of my Blackhawk 27 ft. CC, so far they are great and quiet. Seem to be Dolphin magnets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After 10 years, this past January, I sold my boat. The cost of ownership got tiresome compared to amount of usage. Even though I used it every fishable weekend April-Oct. The cost of gas, repairs, food/bait/ice, and boat storage along with boat loan limited my hobbies to primarily fishing. I do miss Her however. My grandkids ask me all the time to why I sold it, my friends don't call as much and sometimes it feels like it was a mistake to sell it.

It has freed up a lot of cash to do a variety of other things, like go to Nat's games, take the wife to the theatre and purchase a bicycle that I ride frequently. The real bonus is now I can afford to go out on charters and will be calling you to schedule for the fall!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skip - That is truly humorous!

croakerman - The fall is just starting, if the fall pattern stays the same as the past few years - we are in for a good Oct/Nov/Dec at PLO. I would love to have you aboard.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Dennis - Friend of my wife said that few years ago - told my wife it must really help on grocery bill with the fresh fish I bring home.

Old saying - $100.00 a pound for the " free " fish - is likely low for what I have invested in this sport.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've heard many people say that a boat is just a hole in the water that you throw money into. A swimming pool is too much trouble. Motorcycles are too dangerous. Race cars just make left turns and go in circles.
Then they die.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Now please fellows, don't think I'm throwing rasberrys; I just wish to offer a less expensive route to the same fun. My 1972 Cape Dory 25 sailboat with a 4 hp kicker gets me in and out of a $400/season slip on the Eastern Shore, then a quick sail and a few miles to some great fishing. With a deep full keel it rides smoother in a blow than a 50' head boat. Off season the boat is trailered home. Food for thought, and I wish you all win a lottery and get a sailboat.
Dick

·
Registered
120 Posts
money ?

when I was young I spent most of my money on boats , motorcycles ,fast cars ,booze ,and women .....the rest was just wasted !

·
Registered
349 Posts
Now please fellows, don't think I'm throwing rasberrys; I just wish to offer a less expensive route to the same fun. My 1972 Cape Dory 25 sailboat with a 4 hp kicker gets me in and out of a $400/season slip on the Eastern Shore, then a quick sail and a few miles to some great fishing. With a deep full keel it rides smoother in a blow than a 50' head boat. Off season the boat is trailered home. Food for thought, and I wish you all win a lottery and get a sailboat.
Dick
So how do you work the pilings at CBBT:hysterical:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
So how do you work the pilings at CBBT:hysterical:
I've never fished that far South, but to answer your question, when we try to fish in close to rip-rap, we anchor up wind
and ease line down, but most of the time we "troll" and that I believe is most productive on shortened sail: ~ 3 knots,
because there is no engine noise to put fish down.
If you wish to consider cost, say 25 cents per pound of fish, we are ahead financially.
Give it some thought for your retirement years.
Dick

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
First thing I ever bought after getting a job bagging groceries at age 16 was a very used 14 ft. john boat with a 25 Evinrude. Been broke ever since.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Dennis,
I just picked up a Minn Kota I-Pilot and it works great with the remote BUT I can't get it to recognize the foot control. I am also getting a bit frustrated.

Steve

1 - 20 of 37 Posts