Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with night time predator calling for bobcats. I am going to try it this november at my club in Emporia Va.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have called at night and had excellent success with a fox pup tape calling in grey foxes. We have killed up to 7 in one night right up I-95 in Sussex county. We never have confirmed a cat coming in but did have a few mystery animals that would come but not give us a good look. I have not done it much and would imagine it would be possible to call one in but much harder than calling the foxes. They are stupid!

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
get a rabbit, put it in a havahart, break its leg and jiggle the broken leg every 15 minutes. It will give out a squeel to attract every raccoon, coyote, and bobcat within 3 miles. Try to go out when the wind isn't roaring so that the sound can travel further.

·
Registered
633 Posts
get a rabbit, put it in a havahart, break its leg and jiggle the broken leg every 15 minutes. It will give out a squeel to attract every raccoon, coyote, and bobcat within 3 miles. Try to go out when the wind isn't roaring so that the sound can travel further.
Good lord man... I would think we could get wounded rabbit tape and save the curelty to animals bit.

·
Registered
14,252 Posts
If you hadaheart, you would not even think of doing that.........Gary

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good lord man... I would think we could get wounded rabbit tape and save the curelty to animals bit.
I agree with RK, go buy a tape!
Guzzi - Why on earth did you even post something like that??:nono::nono::nono: This only gives the tree-huggers the impression that we are knuckle dragging savages. For God's sake spare the cruelty!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
i predator hunt a lot in southside, va (halifax county). We have called in bobcats and killed them while doing it. We have even targeted them at times in areas where we had seem them while deer hunting. To call in bobcats, call soft. Have the volume where you can adjust it on the fly. Bring it up some then down then leave off a few minutes etc. They come in real slow. Foxes come running, but bobcats hang back. They will walk in slow, sit for a bit and you will see the eyes, then they are gone you think. But then again they will be done moved in closer and sit again. You have to wait em out. They are pretty slick but it is doable. We kill 3-5 a year while predator hunting. Trapping is by far more productive but, not nearly as fun. We have called them in with **** puppies tape, gray fox pup in distress, and red and grey fox fight, and woodpecker. Gotta be patient with em though. Good luck
fishrxdr

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guzzi

I appreciate the advice, but I agree with some of the others, that method seems a bit too rough for me. We all kill animals, but I try to minimize suffering.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fishrxdr

Thanks for the info. My big question....If I blast a fox or coyote first, can I kiss off any chance at a bobcat.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
526 Posts
no the bobcat if he is already there will run but not far, shoot, call, sit still, also take a set of good binos and glass the dark spots i dont know how many times ive almost given up on a coyote hunt to only glass one last time within 20 yds of me just sitting there, if you see him dont look directly at it just bring up your gun and shoot quickly or it will be gone quick fast and in a hurry.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree with the above post. We shoot and then continue to call sometimes upping the volume for 4-5 mins then stopping for few minutes with no lights then calling softly again. You can get numerous kills in one place no doubt. I have killed up to 6 foxes in one spot. Three of us on a gun though with one on the light. Hope this helps.
Good luck
fishrxdr

·
Registered
526 Posts
sorry no pics but whent out today with the cool temps to try for a deer and on my way out to my stand i hear barks, but there not deer dogs there yotes,:D postponed my deer hunt to call in some yotes. got 3, and a bobcat, again no pics phone and camera got wet, all where hunted using my bow (i carry 5 arrows) all where taken at 20 yards. the key is that when i shot the first one it squeeeeels which draws more of them, also i was using the primos preditor calls trying to sound like a fox. yotes hate foxes and will go out of there way to kill one. also bobcats will go after foxes also. just a little info for ya. (all pelts whent to a trapper who traps on our property)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i THINK THEY'RE TAKING YOU SERIOUSLY cHARLIE.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pleasant shade hunt club. We have over 3000 acres in Greenville county where we run dogs. Lots of other types of hunting too. We have room for a couple of new members. Check us out at Page 1. Great group of guys, great dogs and great land, loaded with deer, turkeys, varmints and some potential for duck hunting.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just wondering, I already hunt with Gravel Pit Hunt Club, have all my life. Just dont see many people up here from Emporia.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i hunt in greensville,freeman,sussex

i hunt with prince hunting club out in purdy va.guzzi we run a couple blocks right on the other side of the powerline and also the pearson farm. and also across 58 behind meljos which is a part of the pearson farm.but jcapl001 i know a few guys from your club as well bobby wells,earl taylor,rick watts,rick belmonte. good luck and good hunting and as always be safe.:cool2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts