Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm staying in Boca Grande the second week of June. I want to book a trip for Tarpon. I've found a guide that sounds great but he does not fish the Boca Grande Pass because of the crowds and claims he does just as well elsewhere around Port Charlotte harbor area. Am I crazy for coming down and not fishing the Pass? I'm also trying to pick a day to book around the new moon, does the bigger tide make that much difference? Other questions:

Anybody need a HO between 6/10 and 6/16?

Any recomendations on where to fish from shore?

Any wading areas?

Is it possible to catch snook from the beach?

Any other advice on what to use and where for Reds, etc is appreciated. I'm a Chesapeake Bay fisherman so Florida is a little new to me.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
101 Posts
Newbie!

Hello everyone! been watching this site alot ,(Great Stuff) In regards to your question about Boca Grande , That time of the year it is very crowded & not much fun to fish! To many others trying to do the same as you! AND THEY CAN BE RUDE!!!You will catch more Tarpon along the beaches & back waters !!!! Who are you fishing with? If it is Capt Bennet you are in good hands & he will produce when no one else can! The Pass fish shut down fast with sll the boat traffic not to mention Giant sharks taking what they want! Hope this helps any quetions give me a call 757-595-6707! I grew up down there and spent all my time fishing the Pass!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'll second Bluewater Pete...you really don't want to fish the pass unless you like fishing in a parking lot. I'm talking 100 boats when it get's crazy.
I've fished with Mark twice in the past couple of years and he and his wife Jenni are a great team and he has always put us on fish. In fact, I'll be fishing with him at the begining of June. He does not fish the pass, but can take you to some backwater spots or in Charlotte harbor and put you on some fish. First class all the way. Call him...you won't be disappointed.

wayne

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I fished near the pass area today, about 50 boats. There were some poon hookups, however, I hooked up out of the crowds in shore. You can catch tarpon out of the pass, just got to be in the cutoff areas. Saw the biggest bull shark Ive seen these parts, about a 10 footer attacked a live ladyfish in the Cayo Costa pass, came completely airborne scarred a few boats fishing nearby, water was gin clear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try Sandy Melvin

I own a place in Boca Grande. Sandy Melvin is a local guide that will put you on fish either in the pass or along the beaches. There will be snook roaming the beaches as well. I usually fish in the early evening look for some beach structure old pilings and the like and cast to them. Live bait is the ticket. Bring a cast net and load up on white bait on the sand bars in the back bay. Good luck, Boca Grande is the place anytime if you are willing to move of the Pass.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm booked with Capt Bennet on June 13. Looking forward to the trip, only a month away now. Thanks for the other advise, I've got a cast net and spinning tackle to roam the beaches with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts