Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on recipe forum also, but thought I would get more response here. Looking for advice on rockfish recipe my friend told me about. You need thick filets for this recipe from a 30+ pound fish. Cut the filets into big chunks and boil in water with sugar in water. Then dip in butter like crab or lobster. He said it was awesome. I've never tried it and he ate it at friends house on the eastern shore. Wondering if anyone else has tried this and could give more details.

·
Premium Member
26,248 Posts
I've poached ( hate that term ) Rock fillets - then used in place of crab meat to make fish cakes.
Got recipe / idea from TF a few years ago.

Never thought to just try the lightly boiled ( poached ) meat as is - might be good. Could see how the bigger chunks would be like lobster.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ive got an even better one for you that ive done now with puppy drum, grouper and tilefish. You need about 2-3 green peppers, one onion of moderate size or apair of small ones. Some garlic, and some roma tomatoes. You can add some jalapeno if you want for some extra kick. You want to do a large dice on the onion peppers and tomatoes, if using jalapenos make em small. About a half inch in size is good. Set your oven for 375. And you will need a glass baking dish. Melt down some butter and coat the bottom of the dish. IN a pan sautee the veggies lightly in oil, parsley and oregano. Take the fish fillets and steak them to desired thickness. Then salt and pepper both sides and place in dish. Now if your fillets are small then add all of the veggies over top and then put them in the oven to bake. If the fillets are thick hold the tomatoes till the fish is about half done or they will turn to mush. Small puppy drum fillets usually take about 20 minutes but large grouper fillets can take up to 50 hence holding the tomatoes. Meat will flake and be white all the way through when done. Serve over rice of your choice with a side veggie. Green beans work good. The dish is simple but really good. If you are not a fan of the fishy flavor add a little lemon juice to the pan when you put the fish in. Just drizzle it over the fillets. The fillets should not become covered in juice but rather rest in a small amount as they will release their own juices.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
This one is similar and as tasty as Rockfish gets: lay a whole fillet out on a big piece of foil large enough to close up into a pouch. Put 4 to 5 big pats of butter along the top of the fillet and generously season with old bay (I mean coat that sucker completely on one side). Close up in foil and put on your grill or in a 400 degree oven for around 15 minutes. Obviously the bigger the fillet, the more time you need. Everybody I've served this too thinks it tastes just like crab.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Those recipes sound good - will have to try them. Here's a can't miss recipe if you like crab cakes. Substitute steamed Rockfish fillets in place of the crab meat. Make sure to steam the fillets using half water/half vinegar or beer. Break the fillets up into small chunks. Follow the Crab Cake recipe on the side of an Old Bay Seasoning can. 2 things I add are: 1) a sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers for every 2-3 pounds of meat. 2) The crackers will soak up the moisture so add 2 tablespoons of creamy Ranch dressing. I know it sounds weird.....but trust me on this one... Your guests will swear that they're eating crab cakes. They are quite tasty.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I've poached ( hate that term ) Rock fillets - then used in place of crab meat to make fish cakes.
Got recipe / idea from TF a few years ago.

Never thought to just try the lightly boiled ( poached ) meat as is - might be good. Could see how the bigger chunks would be like lobster.
Skip,

Your rockfish cakes recipe is awesome, and Kate and I are terribly overdue to have it again. Thanks for reminding me of it!!

Tight Lines,

Don

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Ive got an even better one for you that ive done now with puppy drum, grouper and tilefish. You need about 2-3 green peppers, one onion of moderate size or apair of small ones. Some garlic, and some roma tomatoes. You can add some jalapeno if you want for some extra kick. You want to do a large dice on the onion peppers and tomatoes, if using jalapenos make em small. About a half inch in size is good. Set your oven for 375. And you will need a glass baking dish. Melt down some butter and coat the bottom of the dish. IN a pan sautee the veggies lightly in oil, parsley and oregano. Take the fish fillets and steak them to desired thickness. Then salt and pepper both sides and place in dish. Now if your fillets are small then add all of the veggies over top and then put them in the oven to bake. If the fillets are thick hold the tomatoes till the fish is about half done or they will turn to mush. Small puppy drum fillets usually take about 20 minutes but large grouper fillets can take up to 50 hence holding the tomatoes. Meat will flake and be white all the way through when done. Serve over rice of your choice with a side veggie. Green beans work good. The dish is simple but really good. If you are not a fan of the fishy flavor add a little lemon juice to the pan when you put the fish in. Just drizzle it over the fillets. The fillets should not become covered in juice but rather rest in a small amount as they will release their own juices.
This is almost exactly how I do most all of my fish. I add Olive oil (and use seasoned salt) but have not tried tomatoes, nor the sautee part, but I will next time.

Here it is with crappie filets

1 - 7 of 7 Posts