Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my goals for 2007 is to become more proficient in using my electronics. I have the basics down and would like to advance my skills.
Does anyone know of a good book that goes beyond the basics of use and interpretation of modern depth finders ? I have a copy of Buck Taylor's " The Complete Guide to Using
Depth finders" and its exactly the kind of book that I am looking for ---only updated to
reflect the modern LCD equipment we use today. Taylor's book was written in the day of flashers and paper charts and while it has a lot of good information, it way out of date .
What I really want is a good "text book" on modern fishing electronics that would include
interpretation of the fish finder and use of the GPS to catch more fish. Anyone have a good recommendation ??

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Of arches, blobs and clutter, I think its by Get out on the water more press....or just wait for Skip to chime in and do as he says, his FF reading abilities are legendary.:D

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Have you checked online? Lowrance has a number of tutorials: Lowrance Tutorials Page

I'd be really surprised if the other manufacturers don't have some tutorials online.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked at the Lowrance info. It's a good start. Guess what I was really hoping to find is a "text book" on using modern electronics (GPS and DF) for structure fishing.
Something that goes into to detail about types of structure, how to find , how to interpret what you see, and how fish relate to it. I think most of us have a working knowledge of this but I want to invest some time this winter learning more about this type of fishing and to get more out of the $$$ I have invested in my electronics. You would thing someone has written a "text book" on this since we all talk about it and practice it to various degrees.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
I had a good web site that had some good info as far interpretation as to what you are or may be seeing with pictures. I will have to try and find it.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I'd like to find a good FF book too... a video would be even better.

I've been using a FFs to find fish for years, and still, reading the screen takes a lot of interpretation. If you see good marks on the FF, then send something down to see what you get. If indeed you get into action then compared that you catch to what you are seeing on the FF. Of course the qualifier is that whatever is down there thats showing up as marks must be in the mood to bite.

I often thought it would be a good idea for BPS to install a FF on their big fish tank and locate the screen where it can be viewed by all. The location of the transducer (floating on the surface) should also be clearly visible. That way when a fish (or fishes) swim under the transducer they would also appear on the screen... in theory. If it works as I think it would, it would sell a lot of FFs.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
You guys are starting to scare me. You realize that what you are looking at is not a picture of what's below, right? What you are seeing is a visual representation of the echo returns, as interpreted by your finders software not in real time. And that nice scrolling school you see, does not exist as such. Ever wonder why marks don't swim away from one another? The real trick is to learn what a fish or school of fish look like on YOUR machine. They are all different. Skip, I see a seminar topic here.

·
Premium Member
26,184 Posts
Guys-I really wish I could type all you need to know.Basics-set the machine's gain about half way.You want to see "clutter" then turn it down a small amount.Now leave it alone-you want the "picture" the same each trip.Try to set up the depth ranges in 10 feet increments and try to have as much screen as you can.Ie. use the 40' setting for 35' of water not the 120' setting.As you get deeper fish size will show smaller-a 15lb rock in 22' on the 30' setting will look big.The same fish at 22' on 120' setting will look smaller.Now for the cool stuff:D rock show up nicely-deep red -if directly under the transducer.Watch the meter when trolling or drifting-when you see a fish then get a bite you'll quickly learn what each size looks like on the meter.When drift fishing use a heavy weight so the fish you see on the meter are close to the boat.With practice you'll learn to judge the size and also what kind of fish.How the fish relate to the bottom or bait will help you figure out what type of fish are under the boat.Use a heavy (5-8 oz) sinker on braided line to feel what type of bottom the meter is showing you.Hard sand,mud ,shell and muck all show up differant.Again-this takes time to learn.Some charter captains use meters that are 15 yrs. old-not because they won't buy a new one-it's because they understand their old machine.To give an example of what to expect from a good unit-mine will show a 1 1/2 oz StingSilver lure in 60' of water as a thin blue line when the current is slack and the lure is under the boat.In the bay the thermocline will show up at 20-40' as a broken/solid line and when we get alot of rain the salt/fresh line will also show up (differant denisty).My machine is 10 yrs old and the new ones are even better.The books will give you the basics but the best thing is time on the water and a note pad.Keep at it and soon you'll know which rod is going to get hit when trolling.;) Skip

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Skip, how come you say the same things I do, and it sounds so good, and I just come across as an A**hole?:D Had a guy out at a recent tournament, who couldn't figure why, after looking for fish the previous day, I lit him up for F!#^king with the gain (he did it anyway) Has a lot of interesting ideas about fishing that one. (not catching, just fishing:D )
Wanna go cod fishing?

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
bass fishing

with the growing popularity of light tackle fishing in the bay, I've found techiniques used on freshwater and be used and adapted to find stripers. Finding and fishing structure, temp changes etc all play in the mix. Here's a link to some articles on using FF's from a bass fishing site

http://bassresource.com/fishing/depthfinder_fishfinder.html

A good bottom contour map is the place to start, look for likley fish holding areas then use your ff to see if anything is around.

the added variant to fishing the bay as many will tell you is current. Capt Tom Hughes's web site has some interesting articles on fishing structure with current.

most of all, get out more (that's my biggest obstacle)

TIGHT LINES!:D

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber
226 Posts
Go to lowrance.com. Click on one of their units. When that unit comes up click on the immulator. You should be able to operate that unit. Then go to the the boat shows and ask specific questions to the factory reps working the show. Lowrance reps will be at the Timonium Bass Expo next week. (11th-14th)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
show?

Capt Charlie/Backdraft,
What other shows might a Lowrance rep be at? I tried to bmail ya, but it doesn't seem to be set up!

Talk ya soon - Andy Aument

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Reading meters --

--All the Books in the world will Not teach ya to read what YOUR meter tells you ---The Computer located in your head is YOUR Book --
--Your transducer location is important
--Will it read accuartly at cruiseing speed
--Gas or Diesel powered --Interference
--Wide or narrow beam settings, based on tranducer
--Manual or auto bottom settings & Positive knowledge of bottom consisnty by meter colors & thickness only
--Gain settings
--Your Personal idea of what fish are on the meter, by shape & size, some color sets have TOO many colors, making it impossible for owner to see fish--
--What bait concentrations hold fish
--& the ultimite--Catching what you see & knowing your going to do it, before it happens

---Every meter is diffrent, even the same model , --Like a radio Antenna , the Transducer is the tool ---Type, location , angle , & sensetivity ---Only you can master Your Screen readings--

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber
226 Posts
Andy, Lowrance will be at the Timonium Bass Expo (1/11-1/14) Washington D.C. Boat Show (Convention Center 2/15-2/19) National Capital Boat Show(Chantilly 3/9-3/11). These are the local shows. If you need the out of town list please let me know.

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,749 Posts
FishingExpo-6:00PM-Thu-01/11/07-Maximizing Your Fish Finder/GPS/Plotter

FishStu: I will giving a seminar on how to maximize your time when using a GPS/Fish Finder/Plotter.

I'm not going to try to sell you any specific brand this seminar will cover all manufacturers of these units.

If you make it please see me after the seminar if you have any questions.

I just put this seminar togather this year, so you can be sure it's current.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Tom- I wouldn't mind attending the GPS seminar. Are ya gona give more than one? if so, where and when?

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,749 Posts
Leon: Thanks for asking.

2007 Seminar Schedule
DateTimeSeminarAddressFor
1-116:00 PM
Maximizing Your Fish Finder/GPS/Plotter

Maryland State Fairground - York Road Timonium, MD23rd Fishing Expo and Boat Show
1-126:00 PMLocating Stripers Without BirdsMaryland State Fairground - York Road Timonium, MD23rd Fishing Expo and Boat Show
1-1310:00 AMLight Tackle & Fly Fishing the Susquehanna FlatsMaryland State Fairground - York Road Timonium, MD23rd Fishing Expo and Boat Show
1-144:00 PMUsing Current to Catch More FishMaryland State Fairground - York Road Timonium, MD23rd Fishing Expo and Boat Show
2-171:00 PM
to
3:00 PM
Part 1 of a 2 Part Lecture Series

Finding and Catching Striped Bass
Learn the "How's and Where's" from a Pro

The Community College of Baltimore County
Hunt Valley, MD

Course Information
Total Fee - Part I & II
$39.00

2-241:00 PM
to
3:00 PM
Part 2 of a 2 Part Lecture Series

Finding and Catching Striped Bass
Learn the "How's and Where's" from a Pro

The Community College of Baltimore County
Hunt Valley, MD

Course Information
Total Fee - Part I & II
$39.00

3-38:00 AM
to
1:00 PM
Capt Tom Hughes: Light Tackle & Fly Fishing for Striped Bass-Spring & Summer

AND
Capt Chuck Fisher: Trolling & Bottom Bouncing for Spring Trophy Stripers & Summer Stripers

Dundalk Moose Hall #1228
2800 Sollers Point Rd
Dundalk, MD
410-288-5310 Tickets in Advance

In Advanced - $25.00
At Door - $35.00
*Breakfast & Lunch Available

HOME

1 - 20 of 22 Posts