Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything new on bottom fishing that anyone can report? Perch, hardheads, etc.?

Seems like bottom fishing in general is late this year. For what it's worth catfishing below Conowingo Dam has been very good especially during mornings and weekends when very little water is being released. Great for kayakers and canoe guys (or fishing from shore!). Big channel cats and flatheads up to 15-20 lbs :eek2: have showed up this week on nightcrawlers, cut bait and shrimp.

Any info on bay bottom fishing would be appreciated - thanks.

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
Anything new on bottom fishing that anyone can report? Perch, hardheads, etc.?

Seems like bottom fishing in general is late this year. For what it's worth catfishing below Conowingo Dam has been very good especially during mornings and weekends when very little water is being released. Great for kayakers and canoe guys (or fishing from shore!). Big channel cats and flatheads up to 15-20 lbs :eek2: have showed up this week on nightcrawlers, cut bait and shrimp.

Any info on bay bottom fishing would be appreciated - thanks.
I am going to bottom fish Hacketts and surrounding area tomorrow and I will let you know Chuck.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good man. I might try to venture out Monday morning before the holiday crowd wakes up in that same area and appreciate any intel! Feather jigging would be a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
Reports were not good when I talked to Jim at Marty's this morning. Few perch being caught but all small. Opted to chunk at Hacketts and got 2- 24" and 2 - 28" stripers.......................Gary

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I heard from a buddy yesterday afternoon that there weren't many perch at Hacketts, we tried Tolly on the way home yesterday afternoon. The perch were scattered in 20-30', but we caught 8 that were 9-9.5" in about an hour on the drift.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
We made a few short drifts at Hacketts yesterday on the way in for a couple of young kids and we managed around 8. It was slow and the perch were in the deeper water of the shoal. They werent the big black backs either.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Good man. I might try to venture out Monday morning before the holiday crowd wakes up in that same area and appreciate any intel! Feather jigging would be a wonderful thing.
Feather jigging, especially in the shallows at the piers, would be a very good thing! We got plenty of nice perch last season on the live hard bottoms in the bay, but perchin' at the piers on the South River last year was a bust. ...As opposed to 2012, which was on fire.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Reports were not good when I talked to Jim at Marty's this morning. Few perch being caught but all small. Opted to chunk at Hacketts and got 2- 24" and 2 - 28" stripers.......................Gary
So you had to settle for rockfish on the dinner table, but nice going finding them out on the bay! WTG!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Gary - I ended up on the Susq. River EARLY this AM - caught two shorts trolling - beautiful morning - worth getting out of bed just for the boat ride. By 7:30 the river was full of boats and "go fast" fishermen. Happy Memorial Day to all especially our Veterans!

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
Thanks for the info Gary - I ended up on the Susq. River EARLY this AM - caught two shorts trolling - beautiful morning - worth getting out of bed just for the boat ride. By 7:30 the river was full of boats and "go fast" fishermen. Happy Memorial Day to all especially our Veterans!
As you get older like us Chuck, you learn to appreciate just being out on the water and the fish are a bonus! Remember that sign you made me? "Old Guys Rule"....Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts