Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess we can all tell spring is upon us and the maintenance questions are starting.

I have a 24 foot bot that is primarily kept on a trailer. When purchased, the bottom was already painted and I have never painted it in the 10 years .

The bottom now is spotty with areas of fiberglass shown and other areas of old paint.

So my question is this.

Which paint should I get as I'd prefer to paint it to make it look cosmetically good.

The other question is could I sand the existing bottom paint off to get the fiberglass look again, or would that be just to much of a job?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I wouldn't sand it...dirty, messy,nasty job....get a qualified contractor to pressure blast it....if properly prepped originally the integrity of the gelcoat/fiberglass will need to be protected with a barrier coat and then hard paint in a matching color. This is an expensive process but will give you a nice clean factory-looking finish when done.

Other option is to get cheap bottom paint and just pretty it up....since you keep mainly on the trailer you don't really need the expensive stuff.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
If you decide to paint it yourself, I highly recommend Pettit Hydracoat. It is a waterbased ablative paint that doesn't have the toxic smell of regular bottom paint and it also goes a little farther so you don't need as much. Keith at Alltackle sells it, it is well worth not feeling sick after painting the bottom.
5th (Marty)

·
Registered
221 Posts
If u do decide to sand make sure u wear a very good respirator..!! I found that out the hard way

What i don't understand is , why would anyone paint the bottom of there boat if u keep on the trailer year round anyway

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
What type of bottom paint is on there originally? Do you know if it is an ablative or epoxy? Either way, you may be able to just spot sand the areas where the paint flaked off the bottom and paint over it with an ablative paint. Ablative paints will look dull and not as vibrant when out of the water but do not lose their effectiveness when out of the water for extended period of time. You also dont get the build up like you do with epoxies as the paint slowly desloves in the water for its effectiveness. I mostly trailer my boat but had bottom paint added so I could l leave in a slip for extended period of time if I wanted (ie. on vacation to NJ). It also added color to the boat and was less expensive than a tinted gell coat or hull paint. I repaint right on the trailer when it is worn down and I am seeing the primer under it.

Here is the faded blue look out of the water with an ablative paint that was painted last summer sometime and a fresh coat of black ablative that is more vibrant as it hasnt hit the water yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Good thread...I'm trying to get quotes on having my bottom painted this year, tough time of year to get quotes. I guess these folks are too busy, if you find a good, responsive, affordable place to do it let me know

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bottom was painted when I bought the boat. I trailer it and yes, have waited since 2002 to paint it. If I do, it is purely for cosmetic purposes. If it is in the water for an extended time, it will be no longer than 2 weeks.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had my bottom painted at Old bay Marina in Edgemere last year. VERY reasonable & good work. Typically you buy the paint (whatever brand you prefer) and they paint it for you. So I picked up some Hydrocoat on sale for about $100 a gallon and they used half of it to paint 2 coats and returned the other half for me. I will use the leftovers to paint a touchup coat on it myself this year. Call Brian for an estimate 410-477-1488 http://www.oldbaymarina.com/contact.html .
Hydrocoat worked well for me, just needed to take one mid-summer swim and do some light barnacle scraping. The previous year (with unknown ablative paint, since I had just bought the boat) the barnacles got so bad I couldn't get over 16 mph full throttle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts