Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over 18 seasons have always painted the bottom antifouling before dropping in slip. Last 5 years have used ablative paints that are billed as multiseason. This year bought new paint, but have about a half gallon of paint from last year, and am having some back issues. Last few years have gotten my son to paint, but he may not be able to this year. Is it feasible/practical to just paint the spots where the paint is down to the next layer down, which would be a lot easier on the old back, or is this a just kidding myself move? Opinions welcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can certainly just touch up the bad spots as long as you are covering with the same ablative paint. It may not look as pretty as a complete paint job , but should provide a suficient barrier coat.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. will be my expedient option. the less crawling around I do, the better for my back.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Get yourself one of the small rollers (foam) with an extension handle. I did that and it cuts down on the crawling around and laying substantially. I can reach everywhere on my 23' WA.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
+1 on the long-handled foam roller.

Another hack I found is to use a drywall pole sander to prep the bottom before painting. The pole sander does wonders for reducing the amount of crawling around that I have to do. Even if you're going to spot paint, it makes sense to "refresh" the paint and add some surface area to the ablative paint by running sandpaper over it. It also helps to knock off any loose chips before spot painting. In theory, if you can see paint, your boat is protected.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use multiseason paint, Micron CSC, usually 3 coats and usually go 2-3 years without repainting. Sometimes I will do a touchup only after first or second year.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've been touching up areas w/ ablatives on 2 hulls for the past two years, one of them for four seasons. Looks and performs just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts