Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive got a25ft c-hawk pilot house in need of a bottom paint job existing paint is flaking not sure of what all is involved in this. I just know I have no means to block the boat and attempt this myself. Can anyone give me an idea how much this would cost? Also if any of you guys or anyone you know do this type of work and have a place to do it I would be interested in getting it done.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--B-Mail me Will handle it Pick Up Delivery & Professional Job by licenced Captains --AT "Ression Prices" ---

--It will be about a Week Tho before I can get it done for you ---geo.

·
Registered
455 Posts
get out the electric sander with plenty of paper. The paint you chose depends on the protection you want. go to boaters world and check out the differences in the paint componets and prices. its alot of work but worth while when done. Good luck

·
Registered
590 Posts
When I kept mine in the water, I did the sanding thing every other year. Although you can take off the loose stuff with the sander, I found that there's a point at which you have to get all the old paint off so your new paint will stay on.

I found the "chemical peel" approach to be the best for this job. You put a thick layer of paint stripper on the hull with a brush and then cover the whole bottom with plastic wrap so that the chemicals eat away at the paint. Next day you come back with a drywall knife and the old paint comes off like butter. You will have to block your boat in order to do this. Check in with pretty much any marina, they'll block your boat with no problems and it doesn't cost alot.

As for paint, I always used Interlux Micron CSC. The rule I used to follow was, if you saw paint on the hull, then you were OK. That is, no marine growth would occur if there was paint on the hull itself.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
If you are on a trailer - you can do it yourself.It is messy and a lot of time but not a hard job.

Trick is to remove the trailer from under the boat.Not as hard as it sounds.You place timbers under the hull and then jack them up high enough to pull the trailer out.You put her back on - in reverse order.Then just touch up where the timbers were.

Best time to do bottom paint is late March/early April if you fish.Very best time is mid May but that is too good of fishing to miss.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you are on a trailer - you can do it yourself.It is messy and a lot of time but not a hard job.

Trick is to remove the trailer from under the boat.Not as hard as it sounds.You place timbers under the hull and then jack them up high enough to pull the trailer out.You put her back on - in reverse order.Then just touch up where the timbers were.

Best time to do bottom paint is late March/early April if you fish.Very best time is mid May but that is too good of fishing to miss.
I have done it myself - - - when the boat yard did not put the barrier coat on smooth enough to suit me.

Getting it on and off the trailer on a sloped CR6 driveway is a real pain though - - - and money is not that tight - - - yet !

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
One more thing on doing it yourself - - - be sure to use long gloves, goggles, a respirator and a hood of some sort. That bottom paint is toxic and you don't need it in your lungs, eyes or pores.

If you use a sander with holes in the paper like this - - -

with a shop vacuum attached and a very long hose to get the exhaust away from you, you can reduce the mess / toxic hazard - - - remember the dust in the vacuum needs to be disposed of properly.

Be careful out there - - -

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes its on a trailer

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah my biggest problem is the fact that I dont have any of those jacks/stands that the boat yards have and I dont have a level driveway

1 - 12 of 12 Posts