Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought 2 Doz. crabs in the little seafood market in Preston MD. They were just OK, not good. They came from Georgia. We won't be getting anymore until we can get MD. crabs.

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Bought 2 Doz. crabs in the little seafood market in Preston MD. They were just OK, not good. They came from Georgia. We won't be getting anymore until we can get MD. crabs.
We got crab cakes and MD crab soup at Pappas Restaurant in Baltimore today. They had crabs but I too will wait for MD crabs to catch........ Gary

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Against my Maryland born and bred religion to buy steamed crabs. Hurts too bad to pay for a dozen for what I can a catch a bushel for + time, give or take. Time on the water is priceless so.... Then again I'm only half hour away from big crabs all season.

Have only bought them twice in my life and those were bought by my wife as a surprise because I was tied up doing house renos and couldnt get out.

Chris

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Mikes Crabhouse in Riva has very good crabs from Texas and Louisianna for $70-80/doz. Always full and very good. If you get a bad one or a white bellie, tell the server and it is replaced. Highly recommend Mikes.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great! I bought your crabs for years, and you might have ate or bought my fish. That's the way it works. LOL! I lived with crabs in my back yard on Kent Island.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
OH, I was there for a few sips with friends yesterday and folks behind me ordered crabs. Every crab showed dark claws and and avg size of 6.5+ Tony (owner) takes the business pretty seriously.

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Mikes Crabhouse in Riva has very good crabs from Texas and Louisianna for $70-80/doz. Always full and very good. If you get a bad one or a white bellie, tell the server and it is replaced. Highly recommend Mikes.
Dave, I knew Mike well back in the day but Anthony and Arthur are running it now. Arthur told me last year that they haven't bought or served MD crabs in over 15 years. You pay for it but you get good full crabs there. I love to crab but don't have any problems going there to eat and enjoy the view!...... Gary

·
Registered
823 Posts
No intention of knocking Mikes or any other local crab house. I fully understand the logistics of sourcing crabs in the off season but regardless of where one goes, your not eating fresh crabs. In my opinion the quality of the product starts declining once you remove it from the water, not once it dies. Throw in transportation to the shipper, the carrier, and to the destination, either air or land based or a combination, and you have an inferior product for the end user that is generally over-seasoned and consumed by people who are just happy to have them in the winter months. Crabs historically are at their best when cooked quickly after catching. The crab loses their sweet flavor that most folks who have never caught and prepared their own never experience. That's why most crab-houses now cook their crabs on arrival and re-steam before serving. To each his own, but I will wait another six- eight weeks until I start catching them locally.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
FWIW...the VA season opened March 17 and my local comm crabber said it was unbelievable. We got a bush of #1s off him Saturday he said he couldn't fish all his pots he caught so many crabs and has a bushel limit. He said bayside crabbers got 1 bushel per 3 pots. He said they never dug in this winter and are already on the move. VMRC rep at our local fish club mtg 2 weeks ago said back then the "crabs were already crawlin".

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
FWIW...the VA season opened March 17 and my local comm crabber said it was unbelievable. We got a bush of #1s off him Saturday he said he couldn't fish all his pots he caught so many crabs and has a bushel limit. He said bayside crabbers got 1 bushel per 3 pots. He said they never dug in this winter and are already on the move. VMRC rep at our local fish club mtg 2 weeks ago said back then the "crabs were already crawlin".
Thanks for the great news Terp!!...... Gary

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
Wow - a bushel in three pots. Guys up near Annapolis would kill for that , often they only get 3-5 crabs ( keepers ) per pot - about 20 pots for a bushel.

·
Registered
822 Posts
a bushel in 3 pots would have to see it to believe it. usually it's 1 bushel to 25 pots

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I would agree it sounds incredible, but I have seen it also, it is true, crabbers are coming in with limits daily, prices at the dock are way down,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts