Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got selected for a elk hunt to New Mexico for september 16-24 for their archery season. Has anybody here shot an elk or have any knowledge on arrow and broadhead recommendations. I shoot a beman 340 arrow with a muzzy 100 3 blade broadhead and pull 65lbs. I talked to two buddies today one says thats enough and the other says to step it up some. Just looking for some more knowledge. Thanks in advance. If there is a website that anybody knows off I would like to see some links.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you looking for the biggest, baddest, latest, greatest. ACC are It. They will provide the best penitration, but at a big cost$$. A well place shot with any arrow will do the job.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for curosity has anyone tried the new HIT. Stands for Hidden Insert Technology. I like that concept. But before I buy any arrows I want to make sure I get the right ones. Not only will I use them on my elk trip but I will use them deer hunting around home during the archery season.

·
Registered
659 Posts
earlyriser,
Buckeye said it best. A well placed shot is what is important. I would up the weight of your broadhead to increase your Kinetic energy. I would go with a fixed broadhead instead of the mechanical. I'm sure there are plenty that will disagree. Also it hard to beat the carbon arrows of today. They have come a long way.
Bubba[angel][angel]

·
Registered
366 Posts
I shoot a Hoyt Cybertec set at 61#, goldtip 5575 with 100grain Muzzy for elk deer and bear. I shot a mature cow three years at 28 paces and got a complete pass thru. I am going to Saskatchewan this SEP for Black bear and will use the same setup except I am going to try 100 grain Slick Tricks. Similar to a muzzy just that it has a steel ferul and is very accurate. Not that I need more accuracy for bear over bait which is usually 25yards or under. For elk out west I would be prepared to shoot out to 45 yards. If you really want some good advice for elk with a bow go to archerytalk.com. Lots of guys on that board with experience taking multible elk with a bow. When I look for advice I like to gt it from someone that has actually taken several animals with a set up. Nothing like results. Good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm headed to colorado for sept 2006 and my outfitter will not allow mechanical broadheads and reccomends 2 blade designs. Other than that I have a lot to learn and a bunch of practice to do in the next 14 months.

-Dave

·
Registered
575 Posts
Go to Bowsite.com...get on the State Conferences...go to New Mexico and you can communicate with all the bowhunters you want in that state or any state. Great site for Maryland bowhunting as well.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hey Slade, I don't have any experience bowhunting elk. But I have a friend how is pretty good at it. I know he practices at longer ranges and has a 40 and 50 yard pin. I have elk hunted (no luck) and been next to some dead elk. They are BIG. So I wouldn't hesitate to shoot farther if I had the confidence in my equipment. Use a strong head, that hide is thick. Must be 3/4" of super thick hair.

Also, I remmber he missed a shot a couple of years ago. He was walking/stalking. Morning dew had him wet from the waist down. And his bow had also gotten pretty wet. When he got his shot, he drew and could not see thru his peep. It had water in it. Didn't immediatly realize what was happening and tried to shot without it. Not good. So, just something to check every so often.

Best of luck out there. You are going to love it. I have been to Colorado twice (rifle). No luck, but still loved it. Plan to go back when I get rid of this "baby fat".

Dayton

1 - 9 of 9 Posts