Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cracked bow lip from my skiff hanging up on the old bow stop. This is a very common issue for Carolina Skiffs. I am completing a repair. This thread and the link below will document the repair process. So far, I have cleaned it out and have built the first epoxy bridge. Next up are completing the bridge and then glassing it in.

Picasa Web Albums - Dave - Bow Lip Repair

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

The first round of the epoxy bridge turned out great. I did some minor sanding and put on the second application this evening. I am starting to shape the lip that extends out on the bottom of the main gunnel roll.

Pics are here: Picasa Web Albums - Dave - Bow Lip Repair

They are the last few pics. The pics did not turn out that well but they get the point across.

Next I will let this cure tomorrow and do some more sanding and then, if needed, do some final epoxy filling. I doubt this is needed but all depends on how it looks after sanding. Once I have completed the epoxy filling, I will glass it on over the weekend.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

The second application looks good. I spent some time last night sanding it out and forming. The last three pics are were taken last night:

Picasa Web Albums - Dave - Bow Lip Repair

I also applied some additional filler to the backside of the bridge...but I do not have pics.

I have Friday off and will finish the sanding and lay up some mat.

D.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Looks like a great job. Obviously you have experience working with fiberglass. Also, I see you used the Elmers fiberglass repair product. I'm repairing an abrasion to my keel. This is the second time around on this repair. I put three layers of glass on it the last time, ran it again and abraded the keel again. I think it may be a dead keel roller on my trailer which I intend to fix. In any case, I've put two layers of fiberglass on this time and I've got some questions. 1) Do I need to apply anymore fiberglass? 2) Could I use the Elmers instead of gelcoat or 3) should I use the Elmers or something like it before I use gelcoat 4) Do you have any tips for using gelcoat? I appreciate any help you can give and can be reached via bmail. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts