Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of mounting a trolling motor on the bow of my 19' Twin Vee Bay Cat for sneaking up on the little critters in the flats or to re-position back to the start of a drift without having to start the outboard. I have read good things about the Minn Kota Riptide saltwater series, especially the RT80/S-3x, which turns the prop 180 degrees when the tiller is turned only 60 degrees. This would seem very handy on a bow mounted motor. I would welcome any thoughts or recommendations about the plan or other motors to consider.
Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 65# thrust Minn Kota on my 19' Pathfinder and my son has a 74# thrust Minn Kota on his 22' Angler Grande Bay. Both motors have autopilot and copilot. The copilot is a wireless remote system which allows you to steer the motor from any position on the boat. Great feature! We fish mostly inshore fish and use the motors every time we go out. Any problem which we have had has been covered by the warrenty with no questions asked. There is a warrenty center in Richmond. Contact me if you have any other questions or if you would like a demo ride.

Ray

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I bought a 55lb Riptide w/3X for my 16CC. Its the bomb. Last Sat in Tangier I was holding tight to a point in 2 ft crashing waves and bailing the schoolies, exactly what I bought it for. The 3X is awesome. Autopilot would be nice I guess but sometimes simpler is better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've considered a bow mounted motor for my 18' cc. However, I run it pretty hard all over the bay, and am concerned about it banging around.

Will a motor like the riptide, if mounted correctly, stay put in 3-4 footers on the way to the cell?

Also, can the motor be easily removed and put back on the mounting bracket?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
TL, The Riptide locks into place and there is no banging around in rough seas. I have a mounting plate on my boat which allows the motor to be removed after the removal of one pin. Very easy and simple.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, Ray (Seaplus18), Moronehead, and Chris for your response. I agree with TL that this might be the next purchase for the boat.

Chris: I will definitely stop by to talk about this with you.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts