Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - weatherman had me worried about towing all the way down to Solomans so I decided to go out of SP since its is only a few miles for me to tow. Got out late but figured it wouldn't matter...just get warmer. Whe I got to SP I was the only trailer in the lot. Came back in a 2:30 and there was only one other trailer there...wierd feeling...but God has pitty on fools. Seas started out at 1 foot, but soon the weather turned as expected and I had 25- 35mph gusts with 3 footers....still...not too bad.
Oh, fish....yeah, there were plenty of fish...but they were down at 45 - 65 ft and nothing hit all day. I had my screen full of marks but couldnt get a bite. Water temp was 37.5...just tool cold I guess. Wonder what the temp was down at 45 - 65 ft?? The fish were in plenty of bait, so I know they were feeding down deep. I ran my planers (got a little tough as the weather kicked) and I ran 8 lines. I hit a snag in 58 feet of water and lost 4 rigs off the starboard side...$100.00 gone. Still it was good to get back out one more time! Cold in my Center Console, but good!

Happy New Year to all of you.

Dutch

Attachments

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
That's when down rigger would come in handy. A line off a planer would never get near those fish. Heck even drift and jig while counting down or drop staight to the bottom and jig back up.

Nice pictures. Weird about the snag. It couldn't have been the bottom, probably some lost crab trap bouy marker.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Glad you had a chance to get out one last time fish in the box or not. We were hoping to get out for a last trip but it couldn't happen Great season though , got out a lot. You might want to include a couple dummy lines or cannonball/mojo's off the stern to help catch the down deep fish if you can't fit the downriggers or don't want to invest in em. They work for us

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Thats why you always carry a jigging pole with you. Two/ Three ounce head, with a 10" BKD, would easily get down to the fish. Might have changed your luck.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
When you lost the rigs,was it on the E.Shore side?I lost a couple 2 weeks ago in that approx. depth.Cut the lines clean off!:wacko: [Mike]

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I fished with my buddy Goinsfishin on Monday. We saw the same thing. Fish down deep. The fish in the morning were in the 60' depth and moved to the 40' depth in the afternoon. As a matter of fact we had the discussion about whether a downrigger would be a good addition to the boat to get that deep. We did catch one fish about 28" on the dummy line which was our deepest line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts