Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the Dock @ 8:30 with co-worker George and fellow Tfer Paul. Headed south from Podickory and dropped lines when we reached BPL. Was a rough ride in the so called 5-10Kn winds. More like 15-20. Within the first 1/2 hour had a nice 23" in the box. :clapping2:Catching a rock so fast set high expectations :eek2:but the tide went slack and didn't pick our next one until 12:30.:eek: A fat 28" that looked like a football. The 23 was caught on a small white umbrella with 12 oz of weight and the 28 was caught on a single 4oz chartruse parachute with a 6in white shad with 6oz in line both on planner boards. Had several knock downs on the large white umbrella but it had a 9in shad must have been smaller rock. the weather could not have been better in the afternoon 5kn winds and flat. Headed back in at 2:30. There were alot of boats trolling that area and all were right next to each other I have been told to avoid this and did seems they pushed them my way there was alot of radio chatter with reports of no fish. something to be said about not following packs of boats.
Trolling Nov 11.jpg

Trolling Nov 11 pic 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
WTG Keith nothing wrong with that and thnaks for the report and very nice pic's. I know what you mean about the wind we were North of you and I thought the weatherman was only calling for 5-10 but boy was he wrong.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice catch. Do you tend to find most of your takedowns come off of rods on planer boards? I'm new to trolling and haven't had much success, but am hearing of a lot of success coming from rods on planers as opposed to those not on planers. What's your take

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice catch. Do you tend to find most of your takedowns come off of rods on planer boards? I'm new to trolling and haven't had much success, but am hearing of a lot of success coming from rods on planers as opposed to those not on planers. What's your take
This past spring and this fall all but 1 which was a 42" in the spring were caught off the planner boards. The 42" was on the WWB line.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I troll 8-9 rods with no planer boards or outriggers and do fine. I may not have the 30+ fish days but we did have a 23 fish day this past spring with 3 fish over 40". (We did have an over 30 fish day last fall at the CBBT with the largest going 48" though) It is about covering the water column. Planers can be a tool in spreading the lines out to prevent tangles but they hinder manuverability and require more work. Use line length and weight for depth and you should be able to run a fairly large spread without boards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keith,

Thanks again for letting me jump on with you and George, had a great time! When I cut open that Hog I did not find a thing in him!?!! Must have been hungry.

Going to try and get out on Saturday with Faron and some others.
Good luck and Hook up with the big ones this weekend!

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts