Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any reviews on:

Offshore Angler™ Extreme® Fluorocarbon Saltwater Leader

The price seems a little to good to be true. I believe you get what you pay for and wonder if this falls into that category. Or does BPS have an affordable option for leaders?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I've bought a spool. Its " okay"... For about the same price, look into Andes . Comes on a red spool..Reasonably priced. Decent stuff. Just be sure to get a good assortment. 20/30/40 lb..40 maybe overkill, but nice to have, just in case.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
Think about it for a minute - ever heard of BPS having a factory to make fluocarbon leader ?????? I worked at Domino sugar a few days and saw all sorts of store brand sugar being bagged.I asked the workers there what was the differance and they said " The bag" :D.Check out the price on Domino and store brand sugar :rolleyes:.

BPS contracts a company to make it - then put their label on it.There are only a handful of companies that produce fluorocarbon.BPS might have it made slightly different - to keep a lower price.
BPS can offer a lower price because they order a huge amount from a factory.It is then up to BPS to sell it - the factory has their money upfront.

I've always used Sea Guar or Ande on the few times I felt fluoro would make a differance.95% of my leaders are just regular clear Ande.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Supposedly only two companies in the world actually make fluorocarbon leader material. This coming from Jerry Brown, a polymer scientist that sells awesome hollow-core spectra line.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Think about it for a minute - ever heard of BPS having a factory to make fluocarbon leader ?????? I worked at Domino sugar a few days and saw all sorts of store brand sugar being bagged.I asked the workers there what was the differance and they said " The bag" .Check out the price on Domino and store brand sugar .
Hey now, that was top secret info. Why were at the refinery? If you ever back in I'd love to talk fishing.
Howard

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looking at leader material for fly fishing - I normally use Ande clear mono but the price on the BPS made me take a look at it

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
:jackthread: - Howard , I was there to do some insulation work on a large tank.Been there one other time to bid some work.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Does anyone have any reviews on:

Offshore Angler™ Extreme® Fluorocarbon Saltwater Leader

The price seems a little to good to be true. I believe you get what you pay for and wonder if this falls into that category. Or does BPS have an affordable option for leaders?

Thanks
I think the price seems too good to be true because you are actually getting LESS leader compared to other brands.

I used that offshore angler Floro last week in the ocean and it battled at least 20 dogfish that were trying to swing their tails and break the leader all day. I checked the leader just now to make sure it is good to go for ocean fishing tomorrow and there isn't a scratch on it. I did however cut and retie my knot to my jig. It caught a lot of fish last week up to 38''. I will be using the 30lb floro tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday. I will let you know how it holds up.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts