Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons and I have had two retaining pins on Browning BPS shotguns back out of their holes in the ventilated rib causing the rib to come free. The recoil seems to bend the little retaining compression pin over time and it just backs out. I've had one of the pins replaced three times. Does anyone here know if the "Hastings BPS barrells" use a different attachment technique for the rib? Is there a more secure attachment technique I might try? One of the guns is 25 years old and the other is only three years old. We have had problems with both.
Mark

·
Registered
692 Posts
Don't know if this will work in your case, but I had a tiny roll pin on a Browning Trap Gun rib that would work it's way out after 100 rounds or so. I took the pin out, put it on a piece of masking tape so it wouldn't fly away and hit it a smack with a small cold chissel. Staked it or peened it some to make a rough spot on it. Then tapped it back in the hole with a small punch and it never came out again, You want to hit it hard enough to put a small burr on it or make it slightly out of round. It should stay in after that. T.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's a tiny roll pin on ours. Can't say I'm satisfied with that technology. Thanks for the tips. The guns are great otherwise. I wonder if a good gunsmith might be able to do something more permanent with the rib or if there is an after market maker using a different attachment method. When the pin came out it was bent and the rib sheared off the screw-in fron bead...several different times.
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts