Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

I used to fish almost exclusively with Fireline, but switched a few years ago to Power Pro because is was more supple. Last year I bought two of Wild Bill's older 260 Penn Slamers that were already spooled with 14 lb. Fireline.

This year I have used 2 Slammers with 15 lb. Power Pro and the 2 I got from Bill with the Fireline. Using both for LTJ I have found that the Power Pro is much more likely to produce "wind knots" than the Fireline.

As a result, I am going to switch back to Fireline. Has anyone used the new "Crystal"?

Has anyone else found this to be true?

Just my $0.2.

GT

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have Power Pro, Fireline, and I'm going to also spool up with Sufix Performance Braid. Now, from everything that I have read from actual users of Sufix they seem to favor the Performance braid over the Power Pro and Fireline. Choices and more choices.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'm not surprised as the Power Pro of the same rating is smaller and more supple than the Fireline. That should equate to more wind knots. I use Power Pro but recently bought some Crystal which I haven't used yet. I prefer the Power Pro in general because of the smaller diameter so I am able to get more line on my reels.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Chuck,
I was very frustrated with Fireline because in my opinon the quality control went way down. Some spools were good and others broke all the time. Whats more if I tied an overhand knot in the line and pulled the line broke way too easily. I showed a few people on my boat this and they were amazed. Like you I am accustomed to catching large fish on light tackle which means several drag runs during a fight. Having line break when the drag is set correctly is unacceptable. I was not pleased and did experiment with some different lines after inquiring to Berkley about how each spool seems to be different and getting a half witted response. I did notice the same thing you did. Power Pro if not very careful would knot up pretty easily. I thought it was just me at first but it kep happening.

I switched recently to Firleine Crystal and I can tell you that stuff is the real deal. So far every spool (although only three) has been spot on, and I found the stuff to be strong and usable. Although my odlest spool is only about four months old, I find it to be wearing very well.

So far, I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Power pro had too many knots for me. I just used 20 pound Suffix at the CBBT on big fish, but it is way too noisy thru the guides, it makes so much noise that everybody mentioned it, but no wind knots. I have gone back to 15 lb Fireline in crystal. But no way is it Translucent in the water! I like it still because I can see it well.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Isn't Fireline a fused-strand type of line instead of a true braid?

The Fireline I have on my trolling rigs is fairly stiff, has a waxy coating that rubs off on your hand, and after a few years you can see the unbraided strands. I know PowerPro is a braid. The 15# Suffix Braid I put on an Okuma AL-30 spin reel loves to knot in the wind. :confused:

So, my science is telling me that supple braids like windknots and not-so-supple strand lines and monos don't.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I used Fireline for a long time but switched to PowerPro because the Fireline tended to fuzz up once the coating wore off.

Then I started having the wind knot issue with PowerPro which really irritated me! What a waste of money that was. :mad:

Ended up switching to Western Filament Tuff-Pro XP in yellow and I'm a happy camper now.
80# Tuff-Pro on my trolling rods and 20# Tuff-Pro on my jigging rods. Good stuff.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good comments

Thanks for the feedback.

My old black fireline used to fray and turn grey, and as Francis said, was inconsistent.

The stuff I got on the reels from Wild Bill is black and still looks new today. And I know it's not because it hasn't been well used.

Anything I get from Bill I "assume" has been well used, but well cared for. Since I got the reels I have used them for a year, or more, as part of my regular arsenal and they have caught many fish. I am amazed at how it still looks and performs.

I think I will try some "Crystal", but will also try some more Black.

Thanks Guys.

GT

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,155 Posts
Not that it's needed, but here's another two cents worth:
I originally used 14# Fireline exclusively several years ago and then switched to 10# PP (moss). The 10# PP always rendered wind knots and resulted in many times breaking during casting. I then switched to 20# PP and did not like the distance I was getting on casts so I spooled up with 15# PP and am somewhat satisfied, but not completely. I have found it to break easier than the 14# Fireline did. I guess I will contend with the 15# PP for another season since I have a 1000 yard spool that is fresh. One cosmetic thing that I like about the PP is that it always looks like new as compared to Fireline with the same amount of use.
Regardless, I prefer braids to mono and don't think I will ever switch back although I need to terminate the line with a 3' length of 20# and stronger mono or fluoro to help keep my fingers from being sliced off (by the braid) when landing a fish.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm a power pro user. I've not had a problem with wind knots but, I wonder if its because I primarily use baitcasters or because I close the bail manually on the one spinner (10# PP) that see's regular use by me. I have a variety of spinner for guests and family, but they have mono or 20# power pro.

Lance

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I have used #14 fireline on all my spining reels for 6 or 7 yrs now and have never had any problems with it. I'm really surprised to hear some of you have had problems. So far, I havn't had a reason to try anything else. Lucky I guess:) -----------------

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
What is a "wind knot"

Don't mean to sound really stupid but what are you calling a wind knot? Someone please explain.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Explaining a wind knot.. Hmm, When you arc back to cast, and you hear a " commotion" through your guides, your guaranteed a wind knot. Its kinda like the less weight a thread has versus the velocity of your cast, one can't keep up with the other, and somehow it creates a birds nest. Its generally with ten to fifteen feet of your lure. Simple to fix but a pain in the ass if your on fish. I generally get them after respooling. Power Pro is the worst in this field. I still use PP, but have seen Megabyte in action with his tuffstuff and have one reel spooled with it, so far so good.

Make sense ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts