Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a bunch of info on braided line for rockfish jigging, etc... But does anyone have experience in loading 6 or 4 # Fireline on ultralights for trout, shad, smallmouth, etc... I am just tired of mono and it's issues with memory, etc... Looking for a new solution. This would be loaded on a Stradic and I assume mono backing and leader

Thanks

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
This summer I spooled up a reel with 6# Flame Green Fireline and put it on a 6'6" medium action rod, 10# to 14# leaders. I use it for both fresh & salt. This outfit can cast light lures a fair bit farther than similar mono. Although I tend to go back to mono if I know I'll be fishing in an area where I'm likely to get hung-up on rocks or wood. Its a pain to always be needing to tie on new leaders. The lack of memory is a major plus though. I fish for hickories at Fletchers on the Potomac and it should work very nicely there. Fishing pressure there is light and I rarely get hung up. The Susquehanna is another story... shad fishing is shoulder to shoulder and two deep and there are LOTS of rocks... which translates to lots of tangles with others and lots of break-offs on the rocks. On the Susky I'll probably stay with Gold Stren mono. You've probably found out by now that when Fireline tangles its always a dozy... unlike mono, many times Fireline tangles are just about impossible to pick out. Using Fireline at the base of Conowingo dam during the height of the shad run would end up being one disaster after another.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Ultra light reels are more of a problem with memory because of the small spool size.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Try the braid on ultra lights, longer cast, no Memory and no twisting. You can go to local shops and have them spool it to your reel if you want to try rather than purchase a lage filler pump

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Late to this thread... I use 6# or 8# braid on all my ultralight rods. I like to fish slow plastics and like to be able to feel everything. I use a 3-5' flouro leader... and I can tell you that I caught a lot of stinking lmb on this outfit last year.

It's my personal preference - love the UL setups for all bass fishing, and hate memory from the small spools... I always use a VERY light drag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts