Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish mostly with lures, very little live or cut bait. I've been slowly switching over to braid... 2 of my rods are spooled with PowerPro and Suffix, the other 4 are Suffix mono. (By the way, I think the suffix braid is much, much better... smoother, winds better). Anyway, I think I'm noticing less hits on the rods with braid vs the ones that are still mono. My mono was/is typically green suffix elite. So, I was thinking of adding a short leader to the braid... maybe suffix, but i was more thinking of Fluro... then i was thinking, "maybe I'm supposed to use a leader."

So, anybody have any suggestions? For castability, I'd rather stick to straight braid, but if I scare less fish with a leader, so be it. What do you guys do? If you do use a leader, what knot do you use to splice the two. Braid is so thin, my initial thought is that it would cut right through the mono of fluro.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I fish mostly with lures, very little live or cut bait. I've been slowly switching over to braid... 2 of my rods are spooled with PowerPro and Suffix, the other 4 are Suffix mono. (By the way, I think the suffix braid is much, much better... smoother, winds better). Anyway, I think I'm noticing less hits on the rods with braid vs the ones that are still mono. My mono was/is typically green suffix elite. So, I was thinking of adding a short leader to the braid... maybe suffix, but i was more thinking of Fluro... then i was thinking, "maybe I'm supposed to use a leader."

So, anybody have any suggestions? For castability, I'd rather stick to straight braid, but if I scare less fish with a leader, so be it. What do you guys do? If you do use a leader, what knot do you use to splice the two. Braid is so thin, my initial thought is that it would cut right through the mono of fluro.

Thanks
USe a back to back uni knot to tie the braid to mono...simple, quick and strong. Wet it with some spit as you cinch it down as the line will become hot with friction. I always add a leader of about 36 inches or so.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Definitely use a mono leader if for nothing else then to swing in a fish by hand without cutting your fingers on the Braid. It will cut your fingers with a heavy fish, bigtime. I use 17# - 20# mono tied to the braid using a double uni-knot. My mono leaders are ~6' long, just long enough the keep the knot off the reel when you're getting ready to cast. I don't think it makes any difference whether you use regular mono or floro.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I do the same. 3-4' of 10-15" Flouro tied with a back to back Uni to the braid. Then on the other end a large loop tied with a surgeon's knot. This allows you to quickly change out lures without re-tying. (an old Tom Hughes trick)

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Depending on what and how you are fishing- the braid might be allowing your lure to get too deep and be under the fish.Since most gamefish feed by looking up - they might be missing your lure.Mono tends to "float" and lures will work more shallow with mono then with the braid.

I use a leader - it depends on what I'm fishing for as to how long.Most livelining is 24-30 inches and with lures it is 3-4 feet.For livelining I use a tiny blacl barrel swivel and for lures I use a Surgoens knot.Very easy to tie and strong as can be.You just lay the two lines together and tie an overhand knot.Then run the two lines through the loop three times and pull tight.Much easier then back/back Uni and IMHO- just as strong.

The leader also helps with chafing/rubbing of the braid on the bottom or a big fish.Braid is strong but breaks easy if nicked up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I use a leader, mostly fluro when I'm fishing the bay. Aside from the advantages that the guys have listed below, it also allows me to fish a variety of "circumstances" with one rod. I'll use the same rod that I use for smallies or catfish as I do for rock.

Most of my medium weight rods are set up with 30# PowerPro. I'll tie a double uni knot to attach my fluro leader. For rock, I commonly use a 17 # leader or even down to 12 #. If there are a lot of little snapper blues, I might put something a little beefier on. And if I want to use that same rod for smallies in the river, I put an 8 # leader on.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
All of what they said above but 30# flurocarbon for the leader.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soooo... a leader it is! Thanks guys. I think I'll try a 20# length of Fluro to start. Have you never had a problem with the braid just cutting right through the mono/fluro? Seems to me that it would.

I've been using braid for a couple of years now... so i do understand how "sharp" it is. I started using it while wreck-fishing for tog. With mono, I always held the line with my pointer finger to feel the bite... once i switched to braid, I cut my poor finger every time i got a nice hit and set the hook. Took me a little while (and alot of band-aids) to break that habit.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Can anyone explain all the need for Floro for to target a fish that is not leader shy?
I like it for abrasion resistance. With these toothy critters around it helps.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
To answer your question, braid can cut mono if the lines are pulling against each other. But with the double uni knot or others mentioned, usually it's two knots butting up against each other, not a single strand of braid pulling against a loop in the mono.

If you are using similar line test braid to leader and you hang up, the end of the leader usually always breaks before the leader/line knot breaks in my experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did a little research last night and found the Red Phillips Knot. Basically, the braid passes through the fluro and kinda clamps down on the doubled-back tag-end... doesn't actually put any pressure on the fluro. I tied and tested a couple of times last night... pretty easy and definately very strong.

Here's the link... scroll to the bottom to see the diagram.
Favorite Knot Sites - Page 3 - 360Tuna

Stonewall... i do the same thing with the loop, but i use the Berkley knot. Do you ever find that the line weakens after swapping out a couple of lures from doubling it over? I wonder how often i need to re-tie my loop.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
mono, once nicked loses much of its breaking stength..fluro on the other hand retains much of its breaking strenght after it is nicked or abraided..

fluro also sinks faster.. it is harder than mono and more care needs to be taken when tightening a knot..fluro builds up heat due to friction much more than mono..

uni/uni works for me.. I had problems with the 10 x10 unknotting..

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Ive never bought a piece of fluoro in my life, and cannot remember ever losing fish because of leader failure. Although, I do inspect my mono leaders after each fish, and sporadically during non-catching times. Its simple and cheap enough to replace damaged mono as often as needed.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
...uni/uni works for me.. I had problems with the 10 x10 unknotting..
BK - Me too. I've been tying all sorts of fishing knots for 50 years and I still can't tie a 10x10 (or Albright knot) and be confident it will hold. Unlike the double uni, the braid in the Albright is held together by one pass thru a loop, like in the standard blood knot. If in time that tag end slips back thru the loop then the knot comes undone.

At least with the double uni the braid and mono are locked in place by 3 & 5 passes thru the loop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What's a 10x10... thats a new one to me. Sounds like i dont want to learn it though... hopefully I'm not tying it under a different name!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
When the tackle shop (Herbs) fishing expert (Capt. Mike B.) says that using floro on the upper bay is a waste of money… well I listen. Momma didn’t raise no fool. I have been using a 300 yard spool of 30# test that he sold me for $3.95 for the past 4 years… the spool is still ¼ full.

As for using leaders at all:

I never use leaders on traps, poppers, plugs, swim baits or the like. I don’t like having extra knots & stuff in the line while casting out far, nor do I want to deal with tying that **** all the time. Plus, being leader shy isn’t an issue to a fish attacking an 8” popper… I can’t think of loosing a fish due to the lack of a leader. Palomar directly to the lure, all you will ever need. Even with #10 braid on #30-40 fish.

I always use leaders when jigging. I tie a palomar to a decent swivel snap & a loop on the end of the leader. I can switch lures in an instant & have all of the benefits of using a heavy leader.

I like to keep fishing simple. No fancy knots, no overkill on $$ lines… just the basic palomar & a few utility knots I learned as a mate. That’s it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts