Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what you all thought of braided line? I have been using mono but was thinking about making a change. Any thoughts? Thanks Todd

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Todd,
i'm sure you will get plenty of opinions on this.

it really depends on what you are fishing for and how. surface casting, shallow water stuff mono is fine. the short length of line reduces the stretch and minimizes the effects of the shortcommings of mono.

if you are jigging in deeper water or even trolling braids have it all over the mono. no stretch, great feel are great characteristics for this type of fishing.

i use both.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If you have two rod & reel combos with similar action, than set one up with mono and one with braid and make your own decision.

Personally I like braid for LTJ and top water, but I wouldn’t go out re-spool with braid because I say so. I have 12 rods setup for light tackle salt water and 6 are mono and 6 are braid, I also have 14 rods setup for off-shore and 12 are mono and 2 are braid.

Braid & mono both have good & bad attributes for any fishing application. Also not all reels handle braid well too.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The previous replies are dead on. I am 50/50 on all of my rods...as stated previously, it depends on what you are doing.

If you are bottom fishing, have kids or fish with inexperienced fisherman, mono is just fine. Mono also performs much much better on less expensive reels. I also like using mono when I am casting shallows and around lots of debris and structure as stretch is not as big a factor.

Braid is certainly "big boy" line. My better reels (Stradics, Thunnus, Penn, et al) all have braid. I only use braid for LTJ and deeper water. I also have some top water that have better action with braid. All of my trolling gear has braid and was my first braid experience when I switched over from wire line. I get the same or better performance from braid as opposed to wire due to the smaller cross section and hydrodynamic nature of braid gets you deeper without as much weight...and of course there is no stretch.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking about doing this on my trolling rods.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm 50/50 also, but I got to be honest that I catch just as many fish with mono as I do with braid. Mono is a whole lot cheaper in price but you should respool every year with mono where you might keep the braid on for several years. Try both for yourself and you decide. The opinions on the board will make your head spin, it's a personnal choice.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
fieline (green) 14 lb. + 20 lb. floura. leader on light stuff..30 lb. and 50 lb. leader on the bigger rods. i just don't use the big stuff much....line to leader back-to-back uni.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I used braid for the first time this year, for livelining , and jigging. Have used mono for over 20-years. I was amazed at the feel, using the power-pro braid 30#, plus when the temps are cooler, in fall, the braid was very flexible, and the mono was not. I'll still use both for different applications. Try a spool, and find out for yourself, I think you'll find it to be interesting. Just be careful when you snag the braid, it WILL cut you quick, don't grab the line with your bare hand, hold the spool, or use a leather glove for protection.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I use 20# Tuff-Pro XP braid on my light tackle gear (with 20# flurocarbon leader) and 80# Tuff-Pro XP braid on my trolling gear.

The only place I'm still using mono is on my micro-lite rigs.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am thinking about doing this on my trolling rods.
Why waste the $$ for trolling when sensitivity isn't needed? There's only 2 times I would use braid for trolling.

1. Being that braid has a smaller diamater, you can get your lure down further into the water without as much weight. I would use a top shot of braid for this. If my trolling lines will only go out a max of 200ft, I won't need more then 300 or 400 ft of braid.

2. Trolling offshore. If you don't have a reel that can hold enough line, I would use braid on the spool with a top shot of mono. The reason is because I want some stretch when a big old ocean going fish hits it. If the fish starts to spool me, I've got the Braid under the Mono to extend my line capacity. :D

Do what you want, but for trolling in the bay, I use option 1 or straight mono.

- Dae

·
Registered
26 Posts
I prefer braid because of the less stretch, which provides greater sensitivity. But beware, braid will tangle more and if it tangles you virtually always need to cut and retie rather than try to get it untangled. Mono is much easier to untangle and it won't cut your skin.
Shawn

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
1. Being that Mono has a smaller diamater, you can get your lure down further into the water without as much weight. I would use a top shot of braid for this. If my trolling lines will only go out a max of 200ft, I won't need more then 300 or 400 ft of braid.
- Dae
Don't you mean that braid has a smaller diameter?????:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Dae,
that is interesting and i'm glad i works for you but...
IMHO i have to disagree with you about braid and trolling in the Bay.
when we troll in the fall in the upper bay we usually target smaller grade (18" - 28") of fish in deep water, up to 50'-60', bottom bouncing.
i find that by using braid we can not only use lighter weights to increase the fun but we can "feel" the bottom composition as we bottom bounce (mud, shell grass, etc.).
we can feel the hit and you can even feel the head shakes from these smaller fish even with nearly a pound of lead on the line.
it feels like you are really fighting a fish not just reeling in your weight.

you are correct that i don't "use" all of the line on the spool each time out but having this line on the spool, which is rated to handle this amount of line, gives me the chance to remove damaged sections of line to get to better line during a trip, during the season and before each season without respooling.
the bulk spools are less expensive (per yard) than the smaller filler spools, so i buy it and put it on the reel. i'm surely not going to cut 200' of line off of my bulk spool to put it on the reel.
plus if you do get a monster fish you don't have to worry about it if the fish takes 200' of line during the fight, fearing that your knot comes into play.
while braid is not inexpensive it is the cheapest thing between you and your trophy fish....why skimp?

to each his own! thanks for your input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts