Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or when I'm fishing with braid and put on one of those big floats for eels, the line seems to always get tangled in the metal clip of the bobber. It only happens with braid - I guess because of the thin diameter and flexibility of the line. The mono poles don't have the same problem.

Is there a solution or dont use braid with bobbers?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Found that the braid line wraps itself around the spring at the top of the bobber as well. Still like to use them just the same. You can go to the slightly larger bobber with the peg at the top which would eliminate the problem. Problem is that the hole gets too large for the peg real fast---not all that expensive to replace though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have talked to a few people who use the pin style bobbers only, because of that same problem. the pin style are a little bit of a pain, but you wont have that problem.
chris

·
Registered
344 Posts
You can also take a barrel swivel and slide that on your line before your swivel to leader connection. Then just clip the bobber to the opposite end of the barrel swivel and it slides freely up and down the braid. Works pretty good.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I don't see the advantage to using braid for this application. Multiple lines can cause a massive tangle. Are you a glutton for punishment?

Good Fishin

·
Registered
352 Posts
You can also take a barrel swivel and slide that on your line before your swivel to leader connection. Then just clip the bobber to the opposite end of the barrel swivel and it slides freely up and down the braid. Works pretty good.
But how do you secure the bobber so it stays at a certain depth?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've just started using the clip on bobers and haven't had any problems.... yet....

I'll say it again.... love braid.... love the positive feel and the solid 1:1 hook up.... hate mono when I'm feeling all that stretch. I've either learned to avoid all the problems over the last 10 years of using braid or I don't notice I have any.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
But how do you secure the bobber so it stays at a certain depth?
the clip you snap onto the swivel is at the top, your line is pinched between the black disc at the bottom - push down on the top and the bottom opens

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
all 10 of my shimano 6500s have 80# power pro, & 25 ft of andes 80# mono as a leader. works eqully as well on the river using sinker slides as with bobbers eeling.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
the clip you snap onto the swivel is at the top, your line is pinched between the black disc at the bottom - push down on the top and the bottom opens
racn35

I believe that he was asking about "rgeabhart's" question about the use of a barrel swivel to hold the bobber. It is a good question; does not seem that it would work for setting at a specific depth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see what they are saying about the barrel swivel. You clip one end of the barrel swivel onto the bobber where the spring end is and then use the barrel swivel to keep the braid away from the spring. Sounds good. Once the winds die down, thats my next trial and error /.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use 2 or 3 string type bobber stops on braid with a small bead and a larger bead between the bobber stop and bobber. This is fully adjustable and you can reel it in without having to "disconnect" the bobber. Works very well on any size slip bobber and large eels. However, one bobber stop will not work on braid.

·
Registered
643 Posts
For those of you using a leader on braid, what knot are you using to connect the two? My leader knots have been failing so I pulled the leaders off.

·
Registered
188 Posts
25 to 50 foot of shock leader, i always use shock leader on
my braided lines.the braid nics so easy in structure!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yucatan/No Name Knot

Jamis Jockey try using a triple surgeon's knot to make a loop on the mono side, then tie a Yucatan Knot/ No Name knot with the braid into the loop. This knot was in Saltwater Sportsman earlier this year and you can probably find a tying guide online.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Albright knot works perfect for joining mono to braid. I double the braid with a Bimini twist. My 6500s are spooled with 300 yards of 65 pound braid with a 75 to 100 foot topshot of 30 pound mono and my leaders are 6 feet of 50 pound mono. See the podcsat page at http://www.chumlordfishing.com for my eeling podcasts. I can try to do a podcast on both the Bimini and Albright knots soon.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
114 Posts
Chumlord has it. Do mono top shot w/ Bimini loop in braid and a Bristol knot to tie in mono. I use it on all live bait rigs and smaller bait cast reels. :eek2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts