Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had any problem with Power Pro braided line before but sure had lots of problems Sunday. Trolled near Thomas Point in the rain and wind Sunday and hooked up and landed a 35" Rock. Next fish we got to the boat when the 65# Power Pro line snapped. Later 3 other lines just broke off, some near the rod and others half way out.
The line is only two years old and I do reverse it each year.
Does Braided line rot????

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
George,

Check your rod guides for any nicks or cracks...there may be nicked or cracked guides cutting or causing the lines to fray...also check the levelwinds on reels for nicks...or was there any ice on them? Maybe they froze and cracked?

Also, did any kind of chemicals or solvents get on the line???

I'm curious to hear what others have to say about their experience...

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Good question...Do you wash your reels down with a particular type of wash? It sounds like because its more than one rod it could be related to something you washed them down with. I wash my rods down with regular soap and sometimes car wash- i hope im not doing damage to the lines:eek: Anyone have any other input?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I bought some power pro a couple weeks ago for my LT rod and the line kept tangling and getting birds nests. I had to throw it away. Im afraid to even take the chance of getting power pro again, its to expensive to just throw away

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have had the same problem several years ago, my advice would be replace the line once it has deteriorated for what ever reason it will continue to break causing alot of frustration.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Ralph has some good points to check, and It could also have a lot to do about the way that you store your gear. I went out with a friend the other day, and noticed that his braid comes into contact with his hooks while underway on the boat. That kind of repeated abuse on the line can definitely compromise the integrity of the line.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
what Tim said...I store my rigs on the rod and sometimes if you are not careful it can nick the braid..I have started keeping little bits of plastic baits on the hooks to keep them from nicking the line...

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Dave- hit the clearance rack at any tackle shop, and pick up the worms that nobody buys... usually get a package for a buck, and cut them up into pieces, and you have enough bumpers for a LONG time!

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
Odd it is breaking at different spots.I don't think the super braids rot and with you reversing it - 2 years is way to early to have trouble.

The others have good points to check - guides can get hairline cracks and fray the braid.Never heard of soap hurting the line- I wash my reels every trip with boat soap.I use 50 and 80lb braid- never had it break.I do retie the swivel about every 7-8 trips.

Any chance the rods were laid down along the gunwale and the line got frayed ? Other off the wall idea is if something in the water nicked the lines- like a thick tideline.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
all good points to look for
i'm leaning your way, Skip.
i have had line (mono) knick when we pulled thru thick schools of bait.
this past weekend we ran thru alot of bait and the rods were bouncing good....
wonder if that may be a reason?

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
had the same thing happen several years ago (minus the big fish). I never figured out the problem, but bought new PowerPro and haven't had an issue in 2.5 seasons.

·
Registered
961 Posts
PP takes some getting used to. For spinners, you absolutely must close the bail by hand. Sometimes when new, the coating makes the line less pliable. This can lead to problems. Get the stuff wet and use it alot when you first spool up. Avoid using light lures at first. I use the stuff exclusively for light tackle fishing and rarely have problems anymore.

For trolling, I'd be willing to bet the line was nicked. Although if you read other forums, some guys swear the stuff sometimes comes from the factory defective. I don't troll much anymore, but I used the stuff once and went back to mono. I ended up fishing my tandems wayy too deep and I didn't want them right below the transom to fish shallow.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
---Look at your line that HASEN'T broken Off --Is it Twisted Like a Wire Braideded Line ? --If so it comes from Using In Line Sinkers --I Only use Inlines up to 6 Oz--& they are Bannana Shaped to stop Spinning of line --ALL my Other Lines I Use Bell Drop Sinkers , More Control & they can be Thrown out To Clear Other Lines --If you throw In lines with inline sinkers they will Tumble sometimes W/O your Knowledge creating a Spinning lure rig --Also Never Skimp by not having a CENTER SWIVEL IN YOUR LEADER --Regardless of the lure you use --Static Or Spoon --If you wanta go to a Spoon the Leader is READY ready to accept Selection --Let US know what ya Find --geo.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a similar problem with PowerPro. I hate to bash any single product, but I believe that it is an inferior line. If you thoroughly inspect it, you'll see that there are thick & thin spots, bunches of fibers, etc... I switched to Sufix. I think the PP is only a couple of strands of fiber, while the Sufix is multiple strands... dont really know for sure what the count is. But, if you compare the two side by side, you'll see that the Sufix looks much nicer... kinda like a braided rope, while the PP looks, like i said, all clumpy. Since the Sufix is smoother, it also ties a better knot.

I have not had any problems with break-off with the sufix so far. I have switched all my braid setups from PP to Sufix.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am hoping to find the problem and if I do I will post it. There was alot of good tips and I appreciate the input. These rod are are used all year on my sons charter boat and they do get alot of abuse. By the way where the line is broken the ends are not a clean cut but frayed as thou it had a weak spot. Wow what a mystery!!!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
It's been on there so long it's obviously not just a bad spool of line. Power Pro is notorious for having one bad spool now and then.

Strip off a hundred feet of line and run your fingers through it looking for knicks and kinks while keeping the line tight.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I had a similar problem with PowerPro. I hate to bash any single product, but I believe that it is an inferior line. If you thoroughly inspect it, you'll see that there are thick & thin spots, bunches of fibers, etc... I switched to Sufix. I think the PP is only a couple of strands of fiber, while the Sufix is multiple strands... dont really know for sure what the count is. But, if you compare the two side by side, you'll see that the Sufix looks much nicer... kinda like a braided rope, while the PP looks, like i said, all clumpy. Since the Sufix is smoother, it also ties a better knot.

I have not had any problems with break-off with the sufix so far. I have switched all my braid setups from PP to Sufix.
Timo14- I have suffix and the bass pro brand (excel) on my planer lines (50lb) and they both have held up so far on their 4th season!! This fall will be it though. I must say that for my LTJ gear power pro takes the cake. When it comes to the smaller size braid (10-30lb) you can't beat the sensitivity and durability of the power pro line IMHO.

I'm not sure what im going to respool with for the spring quite yet. But your post certainly got my attention.:eek2:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Love it for jigging, hate it for trolling.

I love the stuff on my jigging and floundering rods. Had the same problem you're talking about with trolling. Twice this fall we've tried to pop it off the scotty clip and it just broke! Once I lost the whole umbrella and the second time it held on in the clip. In the spring it did it twice so I replaced four roller tips with eyes thinking it was getting frayed in the old tip. Obviously wasn't the problem, just re-spooled all my trolling rods with 40lb. Ande. (Too bad Sunday's wx sucked, I knew I was jinxing myself by re-spooling)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts