Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of changing a couple of my wire line trolling rods over to braid, e.g. power pro. For those that use braid, what type do you recommend and, more importantly, what pound test do you use? Also, what type of knot, e.g. palimor, do you use to connect the braid to the swivel?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I use 80 lb. Power Pro yellow for trolling. Put mono backing on the reel - connect mono to PwrPro with uni-to-uni knot - and top off the reel with the PwrPro. Palomar or Uni for connecting to terminal tackle works well for me.

·
Registered
849 Posts
tuff line plus

i like 50# western filaments tuff line plus in grey.

only problem is, you can't get it any more -- as far as i know.

use a triple (three times thru) surgeons end loop, and an offshore swivel knot to the snap swivel. bristol knot from the loop if i'm going directly to flouoro leader.

i like the grey particularly b/c i mark my line at different lengths with sharpie markers.

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
I would still keep one reel with wire on it.;) Like the others-I like 80lb.braid.I use Magic Braid from Bass Pro.I buy a 300 yd spool and put 100 yds on each reel.(3 reels for about $12.00 each.I use 50 lb. Ande under the braid.If you are bottom bouncing drop down to 50lb braid-the 80 lb. "floats" up too much.I double the braid and tie an improved clinch knot.Pull it down slow and tight-never had it fall -even pulling on crab pots.:mad: Skip

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I use 50 lb. Ande under the braid.
Don't use mono as a backer. That's a good way to deform a composite spool or a metal one for that matter. Use Dacron or something that does not have elasticity. I personality is #80 Dacron as a backer and moisten the early warps of the Dacron with WD40 to minimize moisture intrusion to the spool.

For the non-believers, take a rubber band and wrap it around your index finger a few times and give it a minute or two.:eek:

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Don't use mono as a backer. That's a good way to deform a composite spool or a metal one for that matter. Use Dacron or something that does not have elasticity. I personality is #80 Dacron as a backer and moisten the early warps of the Dacron with WD40 to minimize moisture intrusion to the spool.

For the non-believers, take a rubber band and wrap it around your index finger a few times and give it a minute or two.:eek:
So what if I use mono as a backer for mono, are my reels going to blow up? I'd better go take all the line out of my reels!!! Do you work for PP:D :D :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. Appears that 80# is a popular number. I'll still keep a couple of wire line rigs in the spread though (old school - can't do without them ;) )

John

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Why #80!??:eek: What size fish are you guys expecting to catch? To me, the main benefit to PowerPro is the smaller diameter and resulting less weight/line length needed to achieve depth. By going up to #80, it seems like you're losing that advantage. I'd think #30 would suffice.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
65# Pwr Pro is about the about the thickness of 18-20# mono. If you need anything heavier than 65# -- you need to lighten up on SOMETHING. Heck -- we don't give these fish and chance as it is. AS for backing, I always was told that the mono was there just for that reason. To allow the briaded stuff to deform the mono and not the spool ????

·
Registered
143 Posts
The tackle shops don't recommend switching rods from wire line to power pro. The wire running thru the guides grooves them. Power pro is pretty tuff but can easily fray. Once you go wire you can't go back.:(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mono backing

Since Braid DOES NOT stretch, it will slip or spin on the spool if tied directly (unless there is a post or notch on the spool to tie the line to), that is why there is a need for mono backing. How will this "deform" the reel? I use 50# Ande as my backer with 65# or 80# Power Pro Braid for trolling and deep dropping. I really like the touch and feel of PP Braid. I have to give it a thumbs up.

Fishy1

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Cabelas has Ripcord SI Plus on sale. I tried it Ripcord SI years ago and did not like the quality control in the 10# weight. I bought a spool ofl 1000yds of 20# for $54 and it looks good on my desk. I'm still using some plain old Ripcord that must be at least 15 years old on some seldom used trolling rigs. I think they give you 2 months to try it and return it if you don't like it. Hard to give it a good try during the winter, but I"ll see what I can do.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=ripcord+si+plus&noImage=0

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Why #80!??:eek: What size fish are you guys expecting to catch? To me, the main benefit to PowerPro is the smaller diameter and resulting less weight/line length needed to achieve depth. By going up to #80, it seems like you're losing that advantage. I'd think #30 would suffice.
From the Power Pro Website:

Select a PowerPro line similar in diameter to the monofilament you normally use. For example, if you typically choose 8-lb. monofilament for applications, you would want 30-lb. PowerPro.
Most equipment is designed to utilize a range of line diameters. In my case I built all my trolling rods with stripper guides so I could use them with a couple of different reels. Roller guides allow some flexibility but extremes such as using 30# Power Pro (#8 mono)on a rod designed for #30 mono is just asking for problems. I would much rather add a few additional ounces of weight than to have the line drop out of a roller and get tangled up in a roller with a good fish on.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Salty, Keep your wire line rigs. If you want to experiment with trolling braid, I recommend that you downsize the outfit to make the experience more fun. I used the Shimino Tekota (line couter), 50 power pro, and a 7' meduim heavy rod. The line counter will help you set or re-set the baits in the strike zone.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
For those who troll with 30# test braid, I hope you aren't using umbrellas and practicing C&R??? You need to use 60-80# braid to get the umbrella and fish in, in a reasonable amount of time if you plan to release it...

On the other hand, 30# is perfect for running single bucktails and tandems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts