Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I swithced to braided line. I fish with plastics a lot. Worms and lizards. It seems like I get less strikes from bigger bass with the braided line?? I'm wondering if they are seeing the line better than typical mono?? I like the feel and strength of the braided but I think its fairly visible to bass. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think braided line is much more visible than mono. You should look into flourocarbon lines. They are supposed to have very little stretch and be almost invisible in the water.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have tried braided line in fresh & saltwater; both for bass fishing and flats fishing. I have not had any visibilty problems using a fluorocarbon leader 18" to 36" depending on the species of fish I am targeting.

Snook are pretty wary and I'm using a 30lb fluorocarbon leader attached to 20lb PowerPro. Not a problem. You should not have a problem with Bass with braided line and a leader..

Good luck,

Howard K.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
Just about everybody is using the flourocarbon leader trick these days,"Even with Mono.".Here's a question that I asked at the Bass fishing seminar this past January at the Cow Palace in Timonium,md. to George Accord,owner of Susquehanna Fishing Tackle in Lancaster Pa.I said,...George...I don't get it?You're saying we should use Flourocarbon leader so the fish doesn't see the line.George,if that's true that the fish is being fooled because he can't see the line,then why would it strike a gawdy looking lure with trebble hooks hanging from it that's much more noticeable than the line?George believes that the fish just won't strike the lure because they see the line from the lure .Well, I do no this,when I retrieve my lures with the rod tip high enough to keep the leader out of the water with surface lures,I get more strikes.When trolling offshore for big game ,it sometimes makes a difference when the lures are set on the outriggers to keep the leader out of the water also.

·
Registered
235 Posts
There is probably a lot more to be learned about leaders etc than we actually know. I'm willing to hear from anyone with more knowledge about the subject. My experience over the years with fluorocarbon has far exceeded any other type of clear leader. It does not carry light and it's sink rate is good as well as it's UV ray rating is excellent as compared to mono and other type line. Less stretch and a much tougher line used around rocks,pilings etc.

If there is something out there that is a improvement over this product for leader use, please pass on the inflrmation.....

Thanks

Howard K.

·
Registered
320 Posts
my son and i fish team bass tournys and he uses braided and i don't. i miss a lot more fish than he. he says that i don't set the hook good enough and swears by the braided. i hate it. i use 17 to 20 pound pline and don't miss to many fish and you can't break it. i get hung on a stump or tree and pull a 20 ft bass boat around. braided nots up easy to me. flourelcarbon line is okay but i still like my pline.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mono will get you more bites than braid, thats a no brainer. I would not use the fluorocarbon leader as that means just another knot that can fail. The only time I will use braid is if i'm fishing heavy matted vegetation, otherwise, its mono. if i am fishing extrememly clear water and the only structure is bottom contour, then i will use fluoro. hope this helps. good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use braid only from 20lb to 50lb for freshwater fishing and i've had no problems at all catching nice fish on it. I've only found that visibility may be an issue on highly pressured waters or during the spawn when fish are aware of their surroundings and everything in it. Otherwise, i believe that making the proper presentation with the proper bait will get you bit, regardless of line type color, etc. The flouro leaders do work, but for me its just another knot to fail.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I guess we drifted away from the original question about braided line.........There is a personal preference for each of us. That's why there is more than one flavor of ice cream....

As far as knots and leaders; There is a excellent book written by Vic Dunaway, "Baits, Rigs & Tackle". Fresh & Saltwater... Personally I have not had any trouble with knots as long as I used the right one for the proper application.

Good luck to however you want to fish...

Gone fishing..............

Howard K.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
First off leader knots won'tfail if they are tied and used correctly.

Now I love using braid for just about every type of fishing you can imagine, but it's not my favorite for bass fishing. First off I definitely think the fish can see it and they don't like it. Personally I prefer P-line. It's very subtle and handles incredibly. I get more bites on it and I have no problem with stretch or strength. I do occasionally go to 10# braid with a 8 or 10# flouro leader but only if I need extra sensitivity. As for guys using anything over 20# braid or mono I can't figure that our at all. I don't even use braid over 20# for striper jigging and I've landed fish over 40#'s and have never broken one off on Fireline 10# braid. You can easily oveload and break bass tackle fishing line that strong. I always prefer matching my tackle to the fish I'm catching.

·
Registered
108 Posts
[Q]Russ D originally wrote:
First off leader knots won'tfail if they are tied and used correctly.

Now I love using braid for just about every type of fishing you can imagine, but it's not my favorite for bass fishing. First off I definitely think the fish can see it and they don't like it. Personally I prefer P-line. It's very subtle and handles incredibly. I get more bites on it and I have no problem with stretch or strength. I do occasionally go to 10# braid with a 8 or 10# flouro leader but only if I need extra sensitivity. As for guys using anything over 20# braid or mono I can't figure that our at all. I don't even use braid over 20# for striper jigging and I've landed fish over 40#'s and have never broken one off on Fireline 10# braid. You can easily oveload and break bass tackle fishing line that strong. I always prefer matching my tackle to the fish I'm catching.
[/Q]

Russ, I agree, i do not like braid unless i am fishing heavy matted vegetation.

I'm still a little leery on the knot to the fluoro. thanks for you thoughts. maybe i'll get some kahunes and try it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i do like braid on my froggin rod but i guess that would be considered fishing in heavy vegetation.

my responses are based on fishing for bass.

i've heard the consensus is to use braid when vertically jigging in deep water so that there is no line stretch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts