Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:fishing2:I have been reading many fishing publications and it seems to me fishermen are using braided more and more, not just for casting lines but for trolling. I use braided for my surf rods and mono for my boat rods. Does anyone here use braided for trolling in the bay ??

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Braid is very popular for trolling on the bay. I would guess more use it than don't. But there is still a mix out there based on personal preference.

I used braid on one rod for trolling last year and am switching to using braid on all my bay trolling rods this year. My reasons for using braid are:
Can use higher test without the bulkiness of mono.
Braid lasts much longer. Can use the same line 5-10 years. I re-spooled mono every (or every other) year.
No memory tangles like with mono.
Easier to tie knots than with heavy mono (which I sometimes had to crimp).
Increases real capacity (although not that important to me).
Braid trolls deeper than mono with the same amount of line out. - means I get to the same depth as with mono only with less weights.
I like the no-stretch characteristic. Easier to tell if the lure is pulling debris.

I will continue to use a mono or flluoro leader for abrasion protection and safer handling with hands when bringing a fish on board.
I will also use the hi-visibility yellow to help keep track of my lines easier.

Some like to use mono on their planer board rods. Its more of a personal preference.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I use braid trolling and mono surf fishing

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys: Thanks for the info. I will slowly turn my rods over to braid. I am a new "sportfisherman" and am very enthusiastic about getting started this year. I hate to keep asking questions: is there a particular brand of braid to use ?? I am sure some are more reliable than others.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Power Pro seems to be the standard that everyone measures against.
Other brands are probably very good also. I have stuck with Power Pro and have not had the need to try everything else on the market.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I hate to keep asking questions: is there a particular brand of braid to use ?? I am sure some are more reliable than others.
It depends on the line strength and application. I use Power Pro in #65 and #80 for trolling. Good line, never had a problem. Not so with good with the lighter Power Pro. #30 Power Pro is notorious for mystery breaks.

Tuff line is good in the smaller classes. In #10-20 class my personal preference is Sufix Performance braid

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use to use braid years ago when it was in vogue. But a lot of hook sets resulted in reeling up pieces, mouths, and gills. After tearing up dozens of fish I went back to mono. braid has it's points, God help you if it bird nests on your reel at a critical moment. I'm back to mono.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bayview has it about rite on the reasons for braid,some reasons I dont like it are digs into itself on the spool and tangles on me.like Brian says it has no give and can pull a hook.Mono is what Im used to and when I set the hook when jig fishing I really sweep back the rod on the bite.Hard habit to break.some trolling apps its good for me,most casting and live bait I like mono but thats a personl opinion.one other thing about braid it floats,at least PP does and when bobber fishing the line lays on top and no belly in it and thats good

·
Registered
439 Posts
From talking to guys and reading you have to have a stinger leader with the braided so that you don't tear the fish up when they hit. A coworker uses 15 or so feet on all his rigs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts