Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Brandon, How about the idea of a Tidalfish.com chart of the bay and all the locations marked out which folks on the forums talk about. Seems there are also multiple locations with the same name, such as Sandy Point. Maybe list them as upper, middle or lower bay. Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Most times the report tells where they left from- that helps figure out which Broad Creek , Sandy Point , Severn River , etc they are fishing.

It gets fun when the local name is not on any chart :D.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ches. Bay chart book 45.00 at any boat store great investment to learn the bay

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ches. Bay chart book 45.00 at any boat store great investment to learn the bay
I'm waiting on a Maptech set of paper charts and accompanying CD. But it's seems like there are many Points with the same name, Sandy Point,Turkey Point etc. How about places like the gas pumps, is that on a chart?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm waiting on a Maptech set of paper charts and accompanying CD. But it's seems like there are many Points with the same name, Sandy Point,Turkey Point etc. How about places like the gas pumps, is that on a chart?
Its probably the most informative chart out there. Shows ramps, marinas, and commonly known fishing locations. I think is has a section that shows amenities in it also. It's put out by ADC. Must have on board and alot easier to use then a fold out map. Pages are waterproof also.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Great idea!!! I have a great Chesapeake chart which I keep on the boat and look at the Md websites, but it seems many of us use names that are very site specific. A good winter project may be to put together a map or chart of the most popular fishing areas with names and acronyms we most commonly see. This would be very helpful for those of us who don't live on or really near the bay (ie Western VA or Maryland) I have to really make a good plan for my fishing day. Even better would be to extend it the length of the bay for those of us who on occasion get down to the CBBT, or Hampton Rds areas.

Jim

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Interesting ideas but most fishing places aren't marked on a chart.

You can't go to my ADC book and find the "volcano" "go-go bouy" "barge" "hotel" or "sanctuary"

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting ideas but most fishing places aren't marked on a chart.

You can't go to my ADC book and find the "volcano" "go-go bouy" "barge" "hotel" or "sanctuary"
That's why I'd like to see a Tidalfish.com chart of the bay with all those places on the map.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
In essence, we are all to give up one of our "honey holes" location to be published on the map. I don't really catch any fish so I have none but I bet this will create a stir from the guys that have locations. Bob

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hey a "honey hole " or two would be great, but I think what would be nice is to incorporate a chart with the names and acronyms we see on a regular basis on this forum. If one includes "honey holes" they would not be that for very much longer. The bay has been fished and charted for hundreds of years and just about everything has a name or sometimes two. Some names are not on charts. Some names are used only in local areas, and some names (Sandy Point) are used mutliple times. Now combine that with accronyms :eek2:. A lot of people on this forum are not origianlly from this mid-Atlantic so this would be helpful. I have been fishing the bay only for the past 4-5 years after moving from Florida so you can imagine my first few times on the water and this forum.

Jim

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In regards to listing honey holes, that would be the choice of the poster when he makes a fishing report. Some guys reports list where they are fishing, such as the teapot, and other folks can be vague, such as the middle bay. The idea of a chart with local names is not to steal someone's hone hole, just get an idea where they are fishing. Someone could be hammering fish, while a boat a 1/4 mile away is getting skunked. I don't see how a chart with local names is going to give away someone's honey hole unless GPS numbers are given.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For newbies such as myself who want to learn 1. how to fish, and 2. where to fish, something like this would be very helpful. For example, where the heck is Podickory Point? I have been looking around for that for some time!

Like any other sport, the more new people you bring in to it the better it gets. Plus, you have new guys who will purchase your old equipment!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts