Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent an enjoyable morning fishing in many different parts of Eastern Bay. There were numerous pods of breaking fish -- some under birds and others without birds. I caught many stripers and few blues, but all were less than 18". Nevertheless, they were great fun on light and med-light rods. Most were caught on soft plastics on 1/2-oz jigheads. I also jigged up a few using a Stingsilver. Depths ranged from 3 ft to more than 20 ft.

I had a very special experience on the way back in. I was more or less in the center of Eastern Bay in 35 ft water depth. I looked over about 50 yds and saw a brown-colored object about the size of a crab pot float. While I was watching, it disappeared. I slowly motored over and found a full sized sea turtle (3-4 ft long) resting at the surface. It raised its head again, spotted me, and quickly dove. A few minutes later I saw the head some distance away. In more than 25 years of boating on the Chesapeake, that was the first live sea turtle I have seen here.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Good day!!

On Wendsday the wife, daughter and I were out on the EB looking for pods of fish when I saw the "Crab pot float" it struck me as odd and then it moved! Before I could get the gals to look that way ( nose in a book and the other on the I pad) it was gone. The gals looked at me like I was crazy. Glad you confirmed my thoughts.

Capt. Ted

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw the same sight in the bay behind Ocean City while I was working the other week. I thought it was a sea turtle but never got closer than 20 feet away. This confirms what I saw I sopposss. Good report

·
Registered
136 Posts
The bite continued into the afternoon yesterday over in the EB!! Small blues and rock, but lots of fun on light tackle. Silver stings and a gold 3/4 oz. l'il bunker worked great!!

Did not, unfortunately, see the sea turtle. Question -- does the bay contain the necessary table fare to sustain him/her? I know nothing of these creatures, except that they are exceptionally cool! And it always makes for a better day when I see one.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sea Turtles, although not common, are not rarities in the Chesapeake either.
Over my 50 plus years of fishing the bay, I could probably count on one hand the number of years that I DID NOT encounter one.

Some of these Turtles have an appetite for Jellyfish, as well as crustaceans, and almost anything else that will hold still long enough to eat.
It could be that there are more than usual this year, thus the number of reports.
As people have described the sightings as "I thought it was crab pot float" it is likely that the vast majority of sightings are disregarded, unless the float swims away.

Enjoy your sightings, but do not attempt to approach one as boat strikes are a significant hazard for them in high traffic estuaries.

Piscophile
AKA Bill Maguire

1 - 6 of 6 Posts