Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was the story today in the mouth of the Chester River. Threw just about everything in the box at em, couldn't manage a rockfish over about 17". Bluefish were thick...at one point we were catching them on bare jigheads.

Charter fleet spent most of the day trolling in circles to our east obviously trying to grind out a limit for their customers. Wonder how they did?

An absolutely gorgeous day to be on the water nonetheless.

Anyone fare any better out there today?

Dan

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was right there with you..... There was one big one out there though.. It was the guy that went full throttle to every group of fish that surfaced... He was a big A Hole. I won't describe his boat but dude they're not tuna fish. They were throw back rock fish. Calm down.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
or send your lures to the bottom, under the breakers...

What size were the blues?

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Whenever I cast upon short fish, I leave protonto. I don't want to take a chance on killing out future legal fish, especially in warm water. What's to gain?

·
Registered
424 Posts
X2 on your post. I might have to hit the Narrows one day and try from shore. Haven't been there in years. Might not be any fishing from shore anymore. Got to check it out.
When I do fish KN, it's from a friend's boat. If you have a boat, work creek mouths in the rivers with topwater and you might be surprised.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree "bottom" nothing but gill plates and spines.. It's just ridiculous to me that Commercial hook and line guy can be right next to me keeping 18" fish but my two have to be 20". If the fishery is in that much trouble then everyone keeps the same size PERIOD.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yea why not....Truth of the matter is these rules are suppose to protect a fishery thats suppose to be in trouble right? So it should be the same across the board. If a certain group can keep 18'' fish then it must not be that bad. Buckshot I used to be a Comm Fisherman in the Delaware Bay and had my hayday with the Sea Trout drift netting in the late 80-90s so I'm not some die hard rec fisherman that wants to ban commercial fishing but these people who make the rules dont seem to know $hit. Has the Sea Trout came back after all these regs for 10 years. Even in the 90s when they cracked down on flounder that hasnt helped. Theres flounder off-shore this year but theres a big cut coming next year on them.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
When I do fish KN, it's from a friend's boat. If you have a boat, work creek mouths in the rivers with topwater and ymight be surprised.
Thanks bluefish, I lived and fished that area in my boat for 25 or 30 years. If you ever eat rockfish in the Restaurants on Kent Island, or Kent Narrows, I might have caught them. No more boats for me. Retired, now just fooling around fishing almost every day from shore.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I agree "bottom" nothing but gill plates and spines.. It's just ridiculous to me that Commercial hook and line guy can be right next to me keeping 18" fish but my two have to be 20". If the fishery is in that much trouble then everyone keeps the same size PERIOD.
But there are plenty of fish 18" and 19", so isn't that proof that the coms don't do as much harm to the fishery? back when recs had a 18" people were complaining that all the fish were under 18

·
Registered
317 Posts
Like I said... I don't care what the size limit is... It just don't make no sense to me how one group can catch 18 and another 20. It should be the save across the board.. I seriously am starting to think these people making the rules have no idea what's going on... Example: No one can keep a trophy red drum and haven't been able to since I can remember.. Where are all the puppy red drum? All I see on the Va forum is pics of trophy fish being released none of a nice catch of puppy drum for the table.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts