Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my new boat this Monday. I am looking for advice in breaking in a new motor. The motor is a 250 Yamaha. Other than running it at different RPM's, what other things should I be doing. I plan on having it for a long time. Coach23

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
coach-
check your Yamaha owner's manual when you get the boat- mine covered break-in procedures in detail- Something along the lines of "under 3K for the first hour (two?), then no longer than five minutes at any speed for the next hour", then change oil after 10 hours (assuming its a 4stroke).

So, just don't plan to head out to the canyons on your maiden voyage. That first hour or two is tough on the nerves, waiting to nail the throttle.
ChopCrab

·
Registered
829 Posts
I broke my Yamaha 250 4 stroke in exactly as described in the owners manual. 2 years old now with 800 hours and not as much as a hiccup out of the motor. FWIW-I never run my motor over 5500 rpm and I don't mash it when motoring up, takes a little longer to get on plane but it makes me feel better

·
Registered
458 Posts
I pick up my boat on Monday with a new 350 in her so I sure my instructions are different
I have been instructed not run her at the same RPM's while running , but to keep changing it by 500 rpms or so NO WOT. Then only troll for a couple hours, move her,then a couple hours until I have 20 Hours on her. Then change the oil and out 10W30 in her. From there use common sense

Best of luck to you
BTW .... What did that set you back ?

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I look at it differently.

As soon as it indicates you can run it WOT for short durations, I would do just that. One of the problems with four stroke motors is called "making oil". The level in the crankcase actually rises due to fuel slipping past the rings. The rings may not seat properly if the motor is not run hard and is babied too much during break-in. Fuel in the oil is bad because it decreases the lubrication quality of the oil. It is not abuse to run it hard for short durations when permitted by the break-in instructions.

I followed the manufacturer's recommended explicity on my F225 and now have 970 hours on it with no problems. I opened it up for short durations when permitted by the instructions.

One of the cures for a motor that was babied during break-in and is "making oil" is to run it hard. I am not recommending abuse or running all the time WOT but to do it some during break-in to seat the rings.

For a F225 the break-in instructions are:

First hour--2000 RPM or approx half throttle--my dealer put the first hour on it in the tank.

Second hour--3000 RPM or approx three quarters throttle.

Next eight hours--avoid WOT for more than five minutes at a time. (This is when I would open it up for short durations of less than five minutes.)

After 10 hours run normally.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Exactly what Bill said. Those were the recommendations on my Honda both from manufacture and dealer. Dealer also put the first 1hr. on my new motor in the shop. Ask your dealer if they are going to do this for you.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Today was my first time out...my dealer (Tristate) ran the first hour in the tank up to 2000 rpm's..the next hour I didn't go over 3000 rpms...after that , just like Bill said no more than 5 minutes at any continuous speed.....after 10 hours...it is ready...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.