1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
November 08, 2008 (Sat)
Air Temperature: 58-61F
Water Temperature: 56F
Wind: SW 10-12 MPH became SW 05MPH around 12:00PM
Rainy, Drizzling, and some Sun later
Place: Between Breezp Point marina and Buoy 78A, MD

I had two plans that I had been visualizing for a week. I memorized the nautical charts for two places, Breezy Point, MD and St. Jerome's Creek, MD. I was planning to fish off the Breezy Point in deep water if the wind was 10 MPH or below. Otherwise I would fish in ST. Jerome's Creek for smaller stripers. As of 6:00 AM, the small craft warning was issued until afternoon. Scattered showers were forecasted until 10:30 AM.

First I drove to Breezy Point to see how rough the bay was. Around 8:15 AM, I could see the bay while I drove. The bay was flat at least 1.5 miles from the shore due to the westerly wind. At the Breezy Point State Park, I could see the bay clearly. The bay was calm up to 2 miles from the shore. The wind was about 8MPH. So I decided to fish from Breezy Point. Around 8:30AM at Breezy Point marina, I talked with two guys on two different boats, who just came back from early morning fishing. They said that it was very rough in the main shipping channel but the wind calmed down a lot. Also they mentioned that birds were scattered but no feedings went on. Both did not catch any fish.
I prepared lures for two rods one for trolling with big lures and the other for casting in case of feeding birds. At 9:00AM, I paddled out in the rain. When I reached 15' of water, I started trolling with a diving plug (that dives 5' below the surface). Once I reached 33' of water, I switched the lures. I put out a single line with tandem lures, 1 oz parachute with a 9" shad on the top and a 4oz parachute with 9" shad on the bottom. I adjusted the depths of lures by adjusting the length of line let out. The visibility was about a half mile when it rains heavily but usually it was 2 - 2.5 miles. I trolled toward south in 35'-37' of water. The SW wind was blowing at average 10 MPH with occasional gusts up to 15 MPH. The water felt warmer than 56F today. Whenever the visibility improves I could see birds scattered all over the place. But they weren't active at all. I kept trolling zigzag toward south in 35'-37' of water until the weather improved. Around 10:30AM I was confident that the rain had stopped and the wind would be below 8MPH for the remaining day. So I headed zigzag to Buoy 78A. I wanted to troll in deep water. In 50' of water I was once very nervous about a 50' yacht that was on auto-pilot (I assumed). I whistled a few times and paddle as hard as I can to avoid the yacht. I passed one barge in 50' of water. There was a good fish reading at the bottom in 75'-80' of water. I assumed they are small sea trout. I retrieved the trolling lures and tried to jig with a Sting Silver. But, my hands were so tired and num, I dropped the only Sting Silver into the water. I did not have any other lure to jig in deep water. I tried jigging with a 1oz buck-tail with a 5" shad. It never reached the bottom. I continuously trolled with the tandem lures. I reached Buoy 78A. around 12:00PM, the bay was calm. I took a lunch break. I ate two energy bars, drank a Gatorade and a bottle of water.

Took the picture of Buoy 78A:

I continuously troll toward Silver Ball (water tower near Dares Beach). I circled and zigzagged in 39'-50' of water. At 2:00PM I decide to troll back to the marina. I trolled in 33'-37' of water. Once I saw a flock of working birds a mile from me. So, I chased the birds. The birds disappeared and I was very tired. I had several muscle cramps on my left leg. When I saw another flock of working bird a mile from me, I did not chase the birds. This was the first time I was dehydrated and very tired. At the marina I met boaters from 7 boats. They were all skunked. They were fishing within 10 mile radius from the marina. Some fishermen I knew haven't come back. On the radio I found that they caught large stripers (30"-47") on the top and far away from the marina.

I paddled:

I paddled 18.7 miles today. I trolled 17.5 miles today. I was skunked and exhausted but had fun and learned some lessons. Next weekend, I will eat and drink Gatorade (liquid) before paddling out so that I don't get dehydrated. If I get tired again next weekend I may consider buying a kayak built for more speed. I will bring smaller trolling lures and place the lures on the top occasionally. I hope it does not rain next weekend.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ooof. I'll never complain about a skunk again. That's a lot paddling. Sorry to hear that you didn't have any luck. I wanted to get out on Sunday but had too many chores to catch up on. How much is it to launch at Breezy Point marina?

You would probably like the Tarpon 160. Longer 'yaks are also often narrower, which another plus for speed. I really liked the Prowler 15 when I tried one, but I didn't have a place to put it. The Ocean Kayak Trident looks like a nice, fast boat, too. I like the rod pod storage idea.

Also, you mentioned that you broke one of your rods on your last trip. I bought a cheap Shimano rod to replace one I lost, and it worked out really well for trolling. It's a little stiffer than the Ugly Stick I have, and it handled pulling a Stretch 25 pretty well. I haven't caught anything on it yet, so I can't attest to its fish-fighting capability, but it casts pretty well. The balance isn't great with the reel I have on it, but the rod is less than $20. It's the 7ft, 2-piece medium-heavy rod on this page:

Shimano 2-Pc. Fx Spinning Rod, Fresh Water, Shimano at Sportsman's Guide

I usually take half a gallon or more of water with me, but taking a leak while wearing my waders and drytop is pretty tough. I need a better system for that. I usually take a couple of peanut butter sandwiches, granola bars, and cookies with a mixture of fat, protein, and sugar to keep my energy up. I often forget to eat while fishing and end up quite tired and hungry for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill,
I carried two Ugly Sticks since. Thanks for the advice. I will prepare better next time. I have about 40 rods after giving away 20. I probably have 40 reels at home. Lucky me. I am married with a very forgiving and patient wife. I ordered two more ugly stick rod and a reel from BassPro yesterday. I think I got to stop buying more rods and reels.
I have Prowler 15. I keep it in Long Island Sound. Like you said it is hard to add stuffs on a Prowler. That is why I don't use it here. I probably get a new kayak next year once I make room for the longer kayak.

I am going to try again for a big one until the water temp drops below 50F. Hope you catch a big one before the season ends.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
207 Posts
friday,

one thing i like about you is that you're not afraid to cover water. tough break on the skunk but you will definitely get into them eventually. trolling like that has to pay off this time of year.

keep the faith,

brett

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Brett for the encouragemnet.
I hope I catch one big one in November. Actually I am always afraid of nature and I do respect it. I challenge within my capability. If I am not confident about my cold water self-rescue skill, I will not venture out.
I hope I see more of your posts around Bay Bridge area for the remaining season.

thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill,
I forgot about the fee at the Breezy Point Marina. There is no fee posted for kayak launch and I was not able to meet anyone. So I slip in a five dollar bill with a sticky on it. I wrote my name and "for kayak launch" on the sticky. I left my phone number few times on the stickies but Mike (manager) never called me. I guess $5.00 is good enough.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts