Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother drilled a doe today at 10 yards with a muzzleloader, within an hour of climbing the tree. let me jut say the hornaday sst did a number in her, it REMOVED 6 inches of spine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
10 yds with a muzzleloader??? With the right diet, at 10 yds I can blow the sheets off my bed with my a$$. I hope he gets at least one steak out of it.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
and basically ruined the backstrap or the better part of it.

what was he aiming at??

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's certainly one way to participate in herd control. [wink]

Congrats to your bro - keep 'em comin'.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we got 2 backstraps out of it and only one was slightly damaged. he made a perfect shot and put it directly through the spine and the backstraps are on the side. many will say a spine shot is not a great shot but I did one last year, and he just did that one and both died right away where they were standing. we are both good shots and feel cofident in this shot.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I'll agree they die quickly that way, I 've accidently shot them there several times with a bow, inlcuding one this past monday, walking dead away and aimed for the middle of the back HOPING it would go to either side and blow through at least one lung. DIDN'T and hit a little far back. I think I clipped a main artery or something, only went 150 yds, last 50 straight downhill. Blew a hole in one BS and the broadhead lodged in the spine but never penetrated.

Still never my first choice shot, but it's effective. Just saying that at 10 yds with that kind of accuracy a head shot loses NO meat and kills them instantly, while a back shot may not.

Regardless a quick kill is still that, a quick kill and meat in the freezer. Good job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts