Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the state of Virginia will have a doe day on the 26th if not the whole season. There will be lot's of deer killed tomorrow. Nowhere to run nowhere to hide, brown is down.

I started this thread in hopes of getting some feedback from you guys. This is a great time to kill a big buck because the bucks are tending right now. I might shoot a doe if I have to, but I'm going to be looking behind her. I killed a buck Tue in the rain, that was running with a doe and fawn.

What I'm interested in is your experences on these doe days. Most of the time we end up killing more bucks than does on these days. Even the last 2 days which we get in Dinwiddie, it usually holds true. The bucks must be easier for the dogs to run while in rut, or maybe they are just tending and bedding with does.

What do yall think?

BILL

·
Registered
838 Posts
Saw a nice 6/8 pointer with two does this morning. Couldn't get a decent shot and didn't want to risk a poor placed shot. Better to get another chance at him later on than crippling him and losing him in the swamp.

·
Registered
877 Posts
yea, they wreeeaaak right now, I had to finish off a cow horn today my son started blasting at, and man he was ripe. Saw a bunch of does and 2 nice bucks today but they were either running alone or behind a group of does and they were to far away for the shotgun.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My experience is usually "doe days" are the time when mostly button bucks get killed. However, today I got a doe with my muzzleloader in Suffolk. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Don't shoot small does and you will not kill any button bucks. We shoot only big does. Yesterday we killed 9 deer, three bucks with horns and eight big does........no button bucks. We have a $100 fine rule for shooting the button bucks so it makes everyone think. We also manage our bucks. We try and shoot only bucks over 15" wide. Yesterday we did just that. We killed a 16" 7 pointer, a 16" 8 pointer and a very nice heavy horned 10 pointer that was 19" wide. We have pictures of this deer from two years ago so mangement helps. Do yourself a favor and shoot the big does and let the small bucks walk.

DEAN

·
Registered
471 Posts
We do the samething Dean, but our fines are 25 for small does and small bucks one the first offense, 50 for the second, 100 for the third and the fourth the person is out of the club, we have killed four bucks, two 8's at 17", one 9 at 16" and an 8 at 22".

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well yesterday went as predicted only 1 small doe that would not have breed this year was killed. We ran several other does but they avoided being shot at and ended up getting away.

Our club; Dum Ass Hunt Club took the lead in the anual big buck contest, with a nice 19 1/4 inch 8pt buck in the morning. The guys jumped him going to get on a stand, the dogs never ran him. He was about as big as they get in our area.

On the first drive after lunch we hit my cutover behind the house. The youngest hunter in the bunch Lucky#7 scored his first trophy buck. This buck tried to sneak out with a doe, but was met with a load of 00 buck that ended his dominance of my cutover. This was one of the biggest 6pt I have seen. He was 18 1/4 inches 18 inches tall and had a 7 1/2 inch brow tine. Lucky 7 was one happy camper.

So far gun season has been good to us; 3 mature bucks over 18in and 2 young does. Hopefully the big nannys are full of their genes and the scrubs are in the freezer. Hope everybody is having the same type of luck.

[excited][excited]BILL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts