Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How I spent my Saturday evening. Actually, I had at least 4 others that were near or better than this one. Pulled the string on a real nice 10 pointer but a big 8 pointer behind me started a fight and pulled all the deer into the pines. This guy ventured back out from the fights just in time to meet up with a SlickTrick broadhead at 30 yards.

He's damn near 200lbs, 9 points with a 20.5 inch inside spread. I call him The Brunswick County Acorn Buck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
where in brunswick?

Congrats. I'll have to try and see the pics at home, couldn't see them right now. My Dad has property on the greenville/brunswick border. You mentioned the fighting, have you seen any other rutting sign? Tim

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Bret that's a real bruser, haven't seen one like that from a stand in years. congratulations

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rut

They are just starting. Plenty of rubs and scrapes showing up along the edge. I've only seen the smaller bucks; cowhorns and such rubbing, licking and making scrapes so far but I have to believe they are all starting.

The neck on this guy looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime on steroids. Check him out in this picture:

Yet, he was still hanging out and feeding along side a number of other bucks. I drew on a 10 pointer as nice as this one about 30 minutes earlier but another very nice yet overly aggressive buck saved the 10-pointers life by starting a fight with another (unseen) deer in the pines. Once the fight started, all the other bucks; those with more than 2 points that is, went running into the pines to watch the fight.

It was by far the best hunt I've ever had in terms of action, number of deer and quality. All between 4:45pm and dark.

·
Registered
322 Posts
what an exciting hunt! How far did he run from your stand? Those pictures make it look like he didn't get far... congrats.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

Thanks all.

He got about 10 yards from point of impact. I cheated by pulling a bone-headed move of using my 3rd pin and Spined him. Second Slick Trick was in the boiler room where the first should have been. Saved a night time tracking job though.

No Diamonds, my club is off hwy 46 just North of Gasburg. Like the name, my bow is a Diamond Victory! By the way, you on Dry Bread rd? If so, I'd guess you're in Antie Hunt Club?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks all.

He got about 10 yards from point of impact. I cheated by pulling a bone-headed move of using my 3rd pin and Spined him. Second Slick Trick was in the boiler room where the first should have been. Saved a night time tracking job though.

No Diamonds, my club is off hwy 46 just North of Gasburg. Like the name, my bow is a Diamond Victory! By the way, you on Dry Bread rd? If so, I'd guess you're in Antie Hunt Club?
i hunt up 611 dry bread road myself with a black hunting club from time to time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
congrats again

No Diamonds, my club is off hwy 46 just North of Gasburg. Like the name, my bow is a Diamond Victory! By the way, you on Dry Bread rd? If so, I'd guess you're in Antie Hunt Club?[/QUOTE]

We're not far from you. You're a little south west of us I think. The turnoff 58 is 606 at Woodruffs store. My dad has property there but we don't belong to a club. Pleasant shade hunt club has hunting rights near by. I won't be going again till 1st weekend in Nov. Then taking the last week of bow off work. I'll stay in touch about the rut. Good luck,Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.